[comp.sys.mac.system] I would love anyone's thoughts on this problem

franklin@ug.cs.dal.ca (STEVE_____(superboy)) (06/23/91)

Why do I often get a huge lag under certain circumstances with 6.0.7
on my classic, which I never get with 6.0.3, or sys7? I refuse to turn to
sys7(let's stay away from that though), and would like to continue with
this version. . .HOwever, when I copy a file, or update the system under
font/da mover, occassionally, there is this huge lag where the computer just
freezes, and the stupid little watch hand just goes around, around, and
around. . . Annoying as this is, it can also become quite a serious occurence
when launching a program. . . any thoughts? I would really like to stay
with this version if I could. . . I would appreciate any thoughts, and
eagerly anticipate any responses you may be so kind as to send me. . .
Thanks in advance. . .
             steve
             franklin@ug.cs.dal.ca
(these lags are often about 15 seconds or more, and happen a
few times in a normal day. . . )

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) (06/24/91)

In <1991Jun23.024443.22049@cs.dal.ca> franklin@ug.cs.dal.ca (STEVE_____(superboy)) writes:

>Why do I often get a huge lag under certain circumstances with 6.0.7
>on my classic, which I never get with 6.0.3, or sys7? I refuse to turn to
>sys7(let's stay away from that though), and would like to continue with
>this version. . .HOwever, when I copy a file, or update the system under
>font/da mover, occassionally, there is this huge lag where the computer just
>freezes, and the stupid little watch hand just goes around, around, and
>around. . .

I don't really like being "watch"ed forever either.  I installed a nifty
cdev called "In Use" which flashes a little square in the upper left
corner whenever a SCSI hard drive is active.  This is especially great
if you don't have an in use light on your hard drive (like me).  At
least now I can predict better whether or not the machine is actually
hanged or not!  If it turns out that you have excessive disk activity,
you may want to check how fragmented your disk is, and if it is, de-frag
it with a commericial program like DiskExpress, or re-format your disk.
I was amazed how much faster my machine acted when it lost it's
defragment virginity!

   Tom... Tommy... Thomas... the Tom-ster, the Tom-boy, the Tomminator...
   ... Tom Shores, Department of Mathematics, University of Nebraska.
   ... shores@fergvax.unl.edu

hagan@ecs.umass.edu (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun23.024443.22049@cs.dal.ca>, franklin@ug.cs.dal.ca (STEVE_____(superboy)) writes:
> Why do I often get a huge lag under certain circumstances with 6.0.7
> on my classic, which I never get with 6.0.3, or sys7? I refuse to turn to
> sys7(let's stay away from that though), and would like to continue with

I will, even though it would help ;)

> this version. . .HOwever, when I copy a file, or update the system under
> font/da mover, occassionally, there is this huge lag where the computer just
> freezes, and the stupid little watch hand just goes around, around, and
> around. . . Annoying as this is, it can also become quite a serious occurence
> when launching a program. . . any thoughts? I would really like to stay
> with this version if I could. . . I would appreciate any thoughts, and
> eagerly anticipate any responses you may be so kind as to send me. . .
> Thanks in advance. . .

what i think your problem is is a combination of you having a badly
fragmented hard drive, and, more importantly,  need to rebuild your
desktop. The 8mhz 68000 in the +, SE, and classic doesn't have the guts
to do a quick desktop update in the pre-system 7 style desktop, as
they aren't powerful enough to "instantly" wade through the desktop to move
a few things aroung. If your drive is larger than 40 megs, you might wont
to consider 20 to 40 meg partitions to reduce the size of the desktop
(again, since you are avoiding 7, keeping the desktop size small will
speed things up). Also, smaller partitions dont get quite as fragmented
as one big (lets say, 105m) partition.

hope this helps!

-- craig hagan   HAGAN@ECS.UMASS.EDU