[comp.sys.mac.system] Tracking uses of File Sharing

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/22/91)

I have file sharing on for a few folders of shareware and public domain stuff.
I have these folders permitted to "guest", because I don't mind letting whoever
wants to pick the stuff up.

I then find myself in the situation where I have people sharing my folders, but
no way of knowing who or where they are.  It would be nice if the File Sharing
Monitor could tell me something like:

   <Guest> from Don's Mac
   <Guest> from Bill's Mac

instead of listing <Guest> multiple times.  Is there any way to do that?

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (D.S.W.Tansley) (06/24/91)

In the referenced article gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
> <About guest folders...>
>I then find myself in the situation where I have people sharing my folders, but
>no way of knowing who or where they are.  It would be nice if the File Sharing
>Monitor could tell me something like:
>
>   <Guest> from Don's Mac
>   <Guest> from Bill's Mac

Absolutely! We *need* this even in Applesahre 2.0. It's another security
inconvenience, to say the least. Any info, or better, additions to the
'things that were rock-solid, but which could be improved' list -- and
Appleshare 3, of course...

Stewart Tansley     | BNR Europe Limited (was STL...) |  'Be cool, or be
                    | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | +44 279 429531 x2763            | Subdivisions, Rush
  'You know how that rabbit feels -- going under your speeding wheels...'

newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (06/25/91)

In article <0q=l20@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
[about personal AppleShare in sys 7]
>I then find myself in the situation where I have people sharing my folders, but
>no way of knowing who or where they are.  It would be nice if the File Sharing
>Monitor could tell me something like:
>
>   <Guest> from Don's Mac
>   <Guest> from Bill's Mac

I'd settle for the ability to double-click on <Guest> and get a detailed
<Guest>
from Don's Mac
in zone Yellow
on since 13:42:01
linked to HD40:Public, 'd e v e l o p 10'

I'd also like some sort of an audit trail, so I know who has linked to my
folders and when---at least. I'd prefer more details such as what files
they've opened.

--
Michael.Newbery@vuw.ac.nz
Cheop's Law: Nothing ever gets built on time or within budget.

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.220442.2858@rata.vuw.ac.nz>  writes:
> I'd settle for the ability to double-click on <Guest> and get a
> detailed description:
>	<Guest>
>	from Don's Mac
>	in zone Yellow
>	on since 13:42:01
>	linked to HD40:Public, 'd e v e l o p 10'

That would be really nice!

> I'd also like some sort of an audit trail, so I know who has linked to my
> folders and when---at least. I'd prefer more details such as what files
> they've opened.

This seems too big-brother-ish for my tastes.  I would like an audit trail
of:
    #times a given shared folder has been linked to
    lasttime a shared folder was linked to
    (and perhaps) person who last linked to each shared folder
    I'd also like to know the last time the *owner* linked to
        the machine, and from where.  The owner is me, and if
        I'm linking from somewhere else it would be nice to know...

that would require a constant amount of disk space, instead of having an
ever-expanding logfile somewhere.  I hate ever-expanding log files, because I
usually forget about them until I run out of space...

But I'd be happy enough just to have some way to find out who is actively
linked to my shared folders...

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu