[comp.sys.mac.system] Will there be a non-System 7 trashing System 6 ?

johnt@quintus.UUCP (John Grant) (06/25/91)

Wouldn't it be nice if ...

a)	You could fit system 7 on to an 800K disk
b)	When you ran System < 7 the disk did not have tp have its
	"desktop updated" when you started System 7 again. This point
	is the more critical to me - sitting for the best part of half an
	hour while the desktops get rebuilt is *really* tedious.

I feel sorry for those with large internal drives, they can't easily
disconnect them when using System 6, at least I can unplug the drives
I'm not going to use.

				John

kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu (06/25/91)

In article <1541@quintus.UUCP> johnt@quintus.UUCP (John Grant) writes:
>b)      When you ran System < 7 the disk did not have tp have its
>        "desktop updated" when you started System 7 again. This point
>        is the more critical to me - sitting for the best part of half an
>        hour while the desktops get rebuilt is *really* tedious.
>
>I feel sorry for those with large internal drives, they can't easily
>disconnect them when using System 6, at least I can unplug the drives
>I'm not going to use.

There is a work around for the
desktop-rebuilding-every-time-I-switch-from-system6.0.x-to-system7.

You can install Desktop Manager in your HD and you can maintain the same Dektop
Dx that sys7 insists on putting on your HD. Desktop Manager is supposed to
built into sys7 I think

The only problem is that sys7 will insist on moving things around on the
desktop (eg. create a trashcan folder and a desktop folder)

I am not responsible for comments I make after 0230 EDT
or after 5 cups of coffe, whichever comes first

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/25/91)

In article <1541@quintus.UUCP> johnt@quintus.UUCP (John Grant) writes:
> Wouldn't it be nice if ...
>
> a)	You could fit system 7 on to an 800K disk
> b)	When you ran System < 7 the disk did not have tp have its
> 	"desktop updated" when you started System 7 again. This point
> 	is the more critical to me - sitting for the best part of half an
> 	hour while the desktops get rebuilt is *really* tedious.
>
> I feel sorry for those with large internal drives, they can't easily
> disconnect them when using System 6, at least I can unplug the drives
> I'm not going to use.

There's an init called "Desktop Manager" from Apple, which seems to do the job
for me.  I put it in my 6.0.7 system folder, and like magic system 6.0.7
understands the same desktop files that system 7 uses.

I got my copy of "Desktop Manager" because we have Appleshare servers (it comes
with Appleshare, I guess).  I think there are other ways to get it, but I do
not know the specifics.  Perhaps it is available at ftp.apple.com, but I don't
know where...

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer            (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA