[comp.sys.mac.system] How to "effectively" hide System Folder

t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu (06/26/91)

System 7 seems to have a BUG/FEATURE which occurs when the system folder is
hidden. 1 it doesn't display anything in the Apple menu and 2 it doesn't run
any of the applications in the Startup folder!

I'm trying to secure my system from my kids and I haven't been successfull yet
under System 7. With System 6.x I just ran under the plain Finder and used a
HyperCard front end. That doesn't quit cut it with System 7. I now
have a folder locking utility but when I lock the system folder the same
thing occurs as when it is invisible.

Apple, how about giving us some options on security that work??????????

If anyone has any suggestions on the subject I'd be glad to hear from you.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah
t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.190508.24461@fcom.cc.utah.edu> t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu writes:
>I'm trying to secure my system from my kids and I haven't been successfull yet
>under System 7. With System 6.x I just ran under the plain Finder and used a
>HyperCard front end. That doesn't quit cut it with System 7. I now
>have a folder locking utility but when I lock the system folder the same
>thing occurs as when it is invisible.

Well, it's not secure in the least, but it just might fool your kids...

Take a folder with a name a little longer than System Folder and drag it as
close to the System Folder as you can without putting it on top of it.
The "align to grid" feature of System 7.0 should put your other folder right
on top of  your System Folde, hiding it.

Except for a brief flash when you switch back from an application to the
Finder, your System Folder will be hidden. Unless they like to move folders
around your desktop as well...

It's certainly no answer, but it may tide you over until you find something
else...