[comp.sys.mac.system] MaxAppleZoom problem

ospwd@emory.edu (Peter Day) (06/24/91)

On Friday, MaxAppleZoom 1.3 worked just fine. This morning when I
turned on my Mac, I got a System Error id=1 before the boot process
finished. Subsequent tests indicated that with just the following items
in my System Folder, the Mac would crash at startup if MaxAppleZoom was
present, and boot just fine if it was not present:  Clipboard File,
Finder, Finder Startup, General, Key Layout, Keyboard, Monitors, Mouse,
Note Pad File, Sound, Startup Device, System

Since MaxAppleZoom is somewhat hardware dependent, I have attached a
MacEnvy report of the hardware configuration. I am running system
6.0.5. When I tried it with 6.0.3, instead of a crash, I got the
MaxAppleZoom icon with an X over it. Accessing it through the control
panel got the message that it could not work with my hardware
configuration. Yet it was working fine before the weekend, and I didn't
make any change to the Mac hardware or system software on Friday (so
far as I can remember).

Any help with this problem would be appreciated. Please reply
directly to me (or send be a copy).

MacEnvy           System Environment Report (2.0)
Filename:         MacEnvy Report
Report Date:      Monday, June 24, 1991  8:43:10 AM

Item              Type/Status
----------------  --------------------------------------------------------
Machine:          Macintosh II

Memory:           8192K  (8 megabytes)
Processor:        Motorola 68020
Coprocessor:      MC68881 installed
PMMU Chip:        MC68851 installed
Sound Chip:       Installed (ASC rev.8)
Graphics:         Color QuickDraw
Keyboard:         ADB Extended (U.S.)
ADB Devices:      2 devices attached
SCSI Chip:        NCR 5380 installed
Clock Chip:       New clock chip (256 bytes)
ROM Version:      256K (Version 120), rev. 3
ROM C7 Info:      $97221136 (IIx,IIcx,SE/30)

System:           Version 6.0.5  (1151K)
Finder:           Version 6.1.5
MultiFinder*:     Version 6.0.5  (active)
Localized For:    U.S./Canada (0)
File System:      HFS (Hierarchical)
Debugger:         Installed at $0000FB7C
RAM Cache:        256K, cache enabled
Current App:      "DAJHandler"
User Name:        "ospwd"
Printing To:      LaserWriter (5.2)
AppleTalk*:       Version 53 is loaded.
File Server:      No remote volumes found

SCSI Devices:     0 - - - - - - 7
SCSI Drives:      1 SCSI drive @ ID# 0
Sony Drives:      1=800K, 2=FDHD, 3=None
Controller:       SWIM chip (MFM/GCR)
Other Drives:     None
Boot Volume:      rho  (76 MB)
Volume Use:       37762K used, 39139K free
Catalog Info:     1080 files, 136 folders
Catalog Size:     610K + 610K extents
Last Backup:      Never backed up
Boot Blocks:      Version 23
Startup App:      "MultiFinder"

Monitors:         1 screen device
Main Screen:      640 x 480 pixels
 Resolution:      72 x 72 pixels per inch
 Pixel Depth:     4 bits/pixel (color)
Alt Screen:       N/A
 Resolution:      N/A
 Pixel Depth:     N/A
NuBus Cards:      Slots 9, 11 used
Slot 9 Card:      Toby frame buffer card
Slot 11 Card:     EtherNet card

PRAM Status:      Last write valid ($A8)
Modem Port:       9600 baud, D=8, S=2, N %
Printer Port:     9600 baud, D=8, S=2, N
Boot Drive:       Internal (drive #1)
Default Font:     Geneva
Speaker Vol:      Current setting = 0
Mouse Setup:      Dbl-Click = 20, Scaling: On
Key Repeat:       Rate = 6, Threshold = 24
Blink Rates:      Caret = 32, Menu: 3 times
Latitude:         0! 0' 0" North
Longitude:        0! 0' 0" East
Time Zone:        0 hr, 0 min east of GMT

--
Peter Day              | DOMAIN: ospwd@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
ITD -- Uppergate House | UUCP:   gatech!emoryu1!ospwd

ospwd@emory.edu (Peter Day) (06/25/91)

Both the solutions mentioned below worked for me. I ended up moving my
video card to a different slot (from 9 to 13) and keeping a correct
date.

I searched the documentation of MaxAppleZoom with an editor looking for
words that might be part of a warning about the apparent time limit on
the use of this product, and could not find any mention of it.

I think we should send him his $25 or quit using his product.  I also
think authors should document any time limits they put in products.
Further, any product which is not fully functional should be identified
as such. I'm sure he didn't intend his INIT to cause a system crash
after the cutoff date, but it sure crashed my mac.

From RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu Mon Jun 24 13:28:30 1991

I had a similar problem occur to me as of friday. I tried everything I
could think of, and I could not come up with anything. Someone
suggested that I try moving the video board to another slot, and out of
desperation, I tried it.  Surprise, it worked for me! All I can think
of is that it cleared some sort of memory on the video board, as I had
to reset it to color.

Good luck......

Read Fritsch

RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu

From mancini@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu Mon Jun 24 13:37:03 1991

I have found this to be the case for my Mac II.  Others have posted on
this.  It seems that MaxAppleZoom will not run after June 21, 1991.
Changing the date to an earlier date will solve the problem
temporarily.  I do not know if this is a problem due to how
MaxAppleZoom recognizes the video hardware, or if this is a "Trojan
Horse" to limit use of the program until a certain date.  It is clear
that we need to get a clarification from the author, Norii.

:-(

Derrick C. Mancini
Synchrotron Radiation Center
Center for X-Ray Lithography
University of Wisconsin-Madison

--
Peter Day              | DOMAIN: ospwd@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
ITD -- Uppergate House | UUCP:   gatech!emoryu1!ospwd
Emory University       | BITNET: ospwd@emoryu1
Atlanta, GA 30322      | PHONE:  +1 404 727-7678  FAX: +1 404 727-2599

ospwd@mathcs.emory.edu (Peter Day {EUCC}) (06/25/91)

(When I tried to post this from emoryu1 I got an error message, so
I am posting it from another machine. I hope it does not result in
a duplicate.)

From RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu Mon Jun 24 13:28:30 1991

From mancini@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu Mon Jun 24 13:37:03 1991

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (06/27/91)

In article <7700@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, ospwd@mathcs.emory.edu (Peter Day {EUCC}) writes:
>From RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu Mon Jun 24 13:28:30 1991
>
>I had a similar problem occur to me as of friday. I tried everything I
>could think of, and I could not come up with anything. Someone
>suggested that I try moving the video board to another slot, and out of
>desperation, I tried it.  Surprise, it worked for me! All I can think
>of is that it cleared some sort of memory on the video board, as I had
>to reset it to color.

This solution to the seemingly wide-spread MaxAppleZoom problem has also ben
posted on CompuServe as a true-blue functional workaround.

No word yet, it would seem, from the author - at least not here or on
CompuServe.

Perhaps he's off sulking somewhere - it would appear, from this thread, that
there are a lot of users of his shareware that haven't paid.  Wouldn't
particularly blame him...

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Shoot him now!  Shoot him now!" - Daffy Duck, "Rabbit Seasonings"