[comp.sys.mac.system] Help: Font drawing VERY slow in System 7.0

zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) (06/23/91)

When I first installed System 7.0, the fonts drew at the same speed they did when I was using System 6.0.5.  Then I had a small problem opening my System
suitcase because of font problems, and re-installed System 7.0 with just the
15 included True Type fonts.  Now whenever I open an About window, or a
Word document, the fonts draw out VERY slowly, much slower than they did
before.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Anyone have a suggested fix?

Thanks in advance,

--
  (Steve Kosloske)                  |
------------------------------------| "There is only one good, knowledge

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/23/91)

zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:

>When I first installed System 7.0, the fonts drew at the same speed they did when I was using System 6.0.5.  Then I had a small problem opening my System
>suitcase because of font problems, and re-installed System 7.0 with just the
>15 included True Type fonts.  Now whenever I open an About window, or a
>Word document, the fonts draw out VERY slowly, much slower than they did
>before.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Anyone have a suggested fix?

Get your bitmap fonts back -- the system is scaling trueType fonts because
it can't find the bitmapped ones.

>Thanks in advance,

>--
>  (Steve Kosloske)                  |
>------------------------------------| "There is only one good, knowledge
> Internet: zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu    |  and one evil, ignorance." -
> UUCP: uunet!zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  |                          Socrates
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						mlanett@uiuc.edu

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/25/91)

In article <13309@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske)
writes:
> When I first installed System 7.0, the fonts drew at the same speed they
did when I was using System 6.0.5.  Then I had a small problem opening my
System
> suitcase because of font problems, and re-installed System 7.0 with just
the
> 15 included True Type fonts.  Now whenever I open an About window, or a
> Word document, the fonts draw out VERY slowly, much slower than they did
> before.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Anyone have a suggested
fix?

Put the bitmap fonts back. They're included for exactly the reason you've
encountered: they draw much faster than the TrueType versions. (They're
also a little better-looking in some cases, since they are hand-tuned
pixel-by-pixel to look good at their specific point size.) You can
re-install the bitmap fonts by simply finding copies of them and dragging
them into your System Folder.

There should not be a problem with having both bitmap and TrueType
versions of fonts in your System. The system will use a bitmap whenever
one is available in exactly the correct size, and the TrueType versions
otherwise.

You didn't specify what your original problem was, so I can't help you
with it. (I probably couldn't anyway, but you never know... :-)

Hope this helps.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (06/25/91)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:

>There should not be a problem with having both bitmap and TrueType
>versions of fonts in your System. The system will use a bitmap whenever
>one is available in exactly the correct size, and the TrueType versions
>otherwise.

True up to a point.  The character width metrics of the bitmaps are NOT the
same as the width metrics of the corresponding size of TrueType font (e.g.
if the bit maps were not installed).  This can have interesting effects.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

dent@DIALix.oz.au (Andrew Dent) (06/27/91)

In <1991Jun25.162151.17801@neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:

>True up to a point.  The character width metrics of the bitmaps are NOT the
>same as the width metrics of the corresponding size of TrueType font (e.g.
>if the bit maps were not installed).  This can have interesting effects.

The TrueType widths are also wider than some of the ATM fonts (eg: Helvetica
as I found out with a number of FileMaker PRO layouts, designed with ATM under
ystem6 and then shown with wider characters under sys7 TrueType.

>Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)
Andy Dent