[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 desktop icon problems

peter@viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (06/25/91)

	I have discovered an interesting bug in System 7. I have a number
of applications on a hard disk partition (in different folders). These
applications all have aliases in the Apple Menu Folder of the System Folder
on a separate partition which is my boot partition.
	I was forced to rebuild the desktop of the "applications" partition
and all the applications that were aliased into the Apple Menu ended up with
generic application icons. The icons in the Finder's Get Info window are
also generic.
	I have checked the BNDL resources for those applications and the
ICN#s are correct. The aliases in my Apple Menu Folder have the correct
icons and the icons in the apple menu are also correct.

	Strange and disconcerting!
	Peter C

--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.145400.400@viewlogic.com>, peter@viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:

> 	I have discovered an interesting bug in System 7. I have a number
> of applications on a hard disk partition (in different folders). These
> applications all have aliases in the Apple Menu Folder of the System Folder
> on a separate partition which is my boot partition.
> 	I was forced to rebuild the desktop of the "applications" partition
> and all the applications that were aliased into the Apple Menu ended up with
> generic application icons. The icons in the Finder's Get Info window are
> also generic.
> 	I have checked the BNDL resources for those applications and the
> ICN#s are correct. The aliases in my Apple Menu Folder have the correct
> icons and the icons in the apple menu are also correct.

What disk partitioning software are you using (if any)? It may be
that that's causing the problem rather than System 7. I had the
exact same problem last week on my Games partition. What was
really weird was that stuff I copied from the Games partition
onto floppies also had generic icons. In the finish (after trying
everything else) I deleted the partition. Voila, the problem
instantly went away - all icons reverted to normal (including the
ones on floppies!). I had been having trouble with the partition
anyway (I managed to mount it twice at one point!), so I figured
it was the partitioning software that was at fault. I'm using Hard
Disk Partition by FWB Software (I think). I haven't had any
problems since.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.140645.624@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>In article <1991Jun25.145400.400@viewlogic.com>, peter@viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:
>>
>> 	I have discovered an interesting bug in System 7. I have a number
>> of applications on a hard disk partition (in different folders). These
>> applications all have aliases in the Apple Menu Folder of the System Folder
>> on a separate partition which is my boot partition.
>> 	I was forced to rebuild the desktop of the "applications" partition
>> and all the applications that were aliased into the Apple Menu ended up with
>> generic application icons. The icons in the Finder's Get Info window are
>> also generic.

Greetings,

  I've had the same problem.  It turns out that the alias format used by all
the pre-release system 7 versions is not compatible with the release version.
If you have aliases hanging around from a beta version, they will confuse the
Finder.  You need to delete all the aliases made with the old versions, and
replace them with new ones.

  I also found that changing the name of the partitions will screw the aliases
up, requiring them to be deleted and re-made.