[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple internet router & sys7

gilley@ndl.ndl.com (Greg Gilley) (06/26/91)

Does anyone know if Apple's Appletalk Internet Router will work under
System7?  I want to upgrade a machine, but I can't live without my
router.  Thanks,
		Greg

  Greg Gilley
  gilley@ndl.COM   [Numerical Design Limited]
  919-929-2917 (voice)

philip@hubcap.clemson.edu (Philip L Harshman) (06/26/91)

gilley@ndl.ndl.com (Greg Gilley) writes:
>Does anyone know if Apple's Appletalk Internet Router will work under
>System7?  I want to upgrade a machine, but I can't live without my
>router.  Thanks,
>		Greg

I'm currently using the Internet Router with Sys 7 with no major troubles.
Occasionally, the volumes I've told Appletalk to mount at startup do not come
up automatically during boot, but I've always been able to go out and get
them after startup.  I'd say give it a try, but be sure to leave yourself a
way to back out if you have to.

--
Philip Harshman                         uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!philip
Employed by Clemson University         	inet: philip@hubcap.clemson.edu

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (06/28/91)

philip@hubcap.clemson.edu (Philip L Harshman) writes:

>gilley@ndl.ndl.com (Greg Gilley) writes:
>>Does anyone know if Apple's Appletalk Internet Router will work under
>>System7?  I want to upgrade a machine, but I can't live without my
>>router.  Thanks,
>>		Greg

>I'm currently using the Internet Router with Sys 7 with no major troubles.
>Occasionally, the volumes I've told Appletalk to mount at startup do not come
>up automatically during boot, but I've always been able to go out and get
>them after startup.  I'd say give it a try, but be sure to leave yourself a
>way to back out if you have to.

>--
>Philip Harshman                         uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!philip
>Employed by Clemson University         	inet: philip@hubcap.clemson.edu
>although they have no idea that       bitnet: philip@clemson
>I'm doing this. (So don't tell!)       phone: (803) 656-3697

Worked fine for about 2 months for me (under 7.0) until I ditched it for
Liaison 3.0.2 this week (I setup a V.32 dialup...).

Just drop the ROUTER "Init" file into the SYSTEM FOLDER (NOT the
Extensions folder, just the main level of the System Folder) and put
the ROUTER DA into the Apple Menu Items folder (remember to drag it out
of the suitcase first).

EtherTalk files should go into the Extensions folder.

Tips: -Copy the INIT's icon onto the DA's...  Looks better!
      -Make sure you are using a System 7 compatible .ENET DRVR resource
      -Use EtherTalk 2.2 (just to be on the safe side).

Apple Internet Router used to be the FLAKIEST piece of software I had
ever seen.  Under 7.0 , it's ROCK SOLID ...  Not bad for a product that
has NEVER been updated !

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: pascal@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337 |