[comp.sys.mac.system] Printing on a PostScript Printer

diwan@cs.umass.edu (Amer &) (06/29/91)

I have been having a lot of problems printing on a non-Apple PostScript
printer under System 7.0.  Before System 7.0, I would dump out a postscript
file by holding 'K' after clicking OK in the print dialog.  Then I would send
the postscript produced to a postscript printer.  After installing System 7.0,
this strategy doesn't work as the postscript file produced by clicking
on the 'postscript' button in the Print dialog box produces a huge postscript
file (as it now includes LaserPrep, Fonts etc.).  This causes the printer to
either run out of memory or take a long time to print, making this route
unreasonable for non-trivial printing jobs.
I would appreciate it if anybody could suggest any better printing technique.
    Amer
			Amer Diwan
			University of Massachusetts
			Amherst, MA 01003
			(413) 545-0256  	diwan@cs.umass.edu

markwang@athena.mit.edu (Mark Y Wang) (06/29/91)

In article <DIWAN.91Jun28132645@ibis.cs.umass.edu> diwan@cs.umass.edu writes:
>I have been having a lot of problems printing on a non-Apple PostScript
>printer under System 7.0.  Before System 7.0, I would dump out a postscript
>file by holding 'K' after clicking OK in the print dialog.  Then I would send
>the postscript produced to a postscript printer.  After installing System 7.0,
>this strategy doesn't work as the postscript file produced by clicking
>on the 'postscript' button in the Print dialog box produces a huge postscript
>file (as it now includes LaserPrep, Fonts etc.).  This causes the printer to
>either run out of memory or take a long time to print, making this route
>unreasonable for non-trivial printing jobs.
>I would appreciate it if anybody could suggest any better printing technique.
>    Amer
>--
>			Amer Diwan
>			(413) 545-0256  	diwan@cs.umass.edu

I just got StripFonts (HappiWare by James Elliott) to work here.  (It
took me a while because there is a unix end to the package, and I'm a
novice at unix).  It's great at stripping fonts that already exist on
your postscript printer (typically reducing file sizes by 90% or more).
This in turn shortens mac/unix transfer times and printing times.  I
applaud James for his work -- StripFonts is the solution to the slew of
postings I've read about huge sys7.0 postscript files.  Below is James
posting from about two weeks ago (I trust he doesn't mind me spreading
the word).  BTW - why hasn't it made it to comp.binaries.mac yet?

Mark (markwang@athena.mit.edu)

Mark Wang   (markwang@athena.mit.edu)