[comp.sys.mac.system] Sound disappears on Mac IIsi !

costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) (06/26/91)

My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
for a little while, and goes away again.  This happens both with System 7
and 6.0.7.  Anyone else experience this?   Any ideas?

-dan

mtanner@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Michael C. Tanner) (06/26/91)

In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:

   My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
   goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.

I'm having the same problem.  But it doesn't always take 2 hours.  At first I
thought it was a MultiFinder problem because the first time it happened was
under MultiFinder (we had been using the machine for a month and a half
without turning on MultiFinder, and never had it happen).  We turned off
MultiFinder because we were having other problems with it (mostly not enough
memory), and didn't lose sound again for a month or so.  But recently it
happened again with MultiFinder off.  It's been a minor annoyance, but I am
curious about it.

-- mike

jflaszlo@sunee.waterloo.edu (Joe Laszlo) (06/27/91)

In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci.ucsd.edu (Dan Costin) writes:
>My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
>goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
>problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
>for a little while, and goes away again.  This happens both with System 7
>and 6.0.7.  Anyone else experience this?   Any ideas?
>
>-dan

The same thing has happened to me a number of times.  I haven't noticed it to
happen within any particular time period though.  Sometimes it happens within
a few minutes of starting up, sometimes it doesn't show up (I typically use
the machine for 3 or 4 hours at a time).

Anyone else?

Joe Laszlo
jflaszlo@sunee.waterloo.edu

strange@heresy.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.202442.19976@sunee.waterloo.edu> jflaszlo@sunee.waterloo.edu (Joe Laszlo) writes:

   The same thing has happened to me a number of times.  I haven't
noticed it to
   happen within any particular time period though.  Sometimes it
happens within
   a few minutes of starting up, sometimes it doesn't show up (I
typically use
   the machine for 3 or 4 hours at a time).

   Anyone else?

Yes, I have had this happen often also, on my IIsi.  Has anyone seen
this on a machine *other than* a IIsi??

	Steve

yeo@ada.seas.ucla.edu (Simon Yeo) (06/27/91)

In article <STRANGE.91Jun26153001@heresy.berkeley.edu> strange@heresy.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) writes:

>Yes, I have had this happen often also, on my IIsi.  Has anyone seen
>this on a machine *other than* a IIsi??
>
>	Steve

I've had the same problem.  It happens consistently when I play this game called
Loom, but otherwise there is no pattern, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Darryl "NOT Ug" Lee) (06/27/91)

In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:

>My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
>goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
>problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
>for a little while, and goes away again.  This happens both with System 7
>and 6.0.7.  Anyone else experience this?   Any ideas?

add me to the list of "yes, this happens to me, but i have no idea
why"

actually, i use my 2si for LONG periods of time (well, ok, not THAT
long, but maybe 4-5 hours at a pop) and have noticed the sound
disappearing more often when i've been on the computer for a while.

i think i can confirm that the computer needs to be shut-off then
turned on before the sounds comes back.

sys 6.0.7 w/ a lotta inits, cdevs, etc...not a big problem, but
curious like everyone else :}
--
------------------------------cut here---------------------------------
      ``Girls are like cars--all the good ones are already taken''

rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) (06/27/91)

In <MTANNER.91Jun26091253@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> mtanner@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Michael C. Tanner) writes:

>In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:

>   My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
>   goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.

>I'm having the same problem.  But it doesn't always take 2 hours.  At first I
>thought it was a MultiFinder problem because the first time it happened was

Well, the same thing often happens on my IIsi, but I don't believe
it has anything to do with the type of macintosh.  It seems MUCH more
likely that you have simply run out of memory to store the sound.
This would explain why the problem tends to show up in a multifinder
environment more often.

Perhaps.

Richard Williams,                                  |
Department of Electronics and Computer Science,    |
Southampton University,                            |  EMAIL ADDRESS:
Highfield,                                         |  rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Southampton.                                       |

goebel@buster.cps.msu.edu (Chris J Goebel) (06/27/91)

I have also lost the sound while using the IIsi. But usually attribute
it to the variety of inits/cdevs plus a variety of programs being used.

If someone knows why, or how to prevent it please let me know.

Chris

tbeaubie@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (Todd Beaubien) (06/27/91)

Well, here`s my two cents:

With my new IIsi (5Mb/40Mb HD), I`ve noticed the sound loss as well.  It
seems to disappear when I pause in OIDS but also vanishes sporadically in
games that don`t have/need pause.  And once it`s gone, it won`t come back
within that application.  I`m using Sys 6.0.7 and letting others beta-test
Sys 7.0 for a while till I upgrade (to Sys 7.x or 7.0.x).  I`m anxious to
find out what this problem is and how to fix it!

Maybe I`ll ask my dealer!!

Todd Beaubien                "Get your mind out of the gutter!
                              It`s my gutter and I didn`t invite you."

bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.144252.9002@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> goebel@buster.cps.msu.edu (Chris J Goebel) writes:
> I have also lost the sound while using the IIsi. But usually attribute
> it to the variety of inits/cdevs plus a variety of programs being used.

Are any of the programs using Macintalk?  One of the technical notes
("Macintalk -- The Final Chapter", I think) says that it interferes
with the Sound Manager and will prevent any sound, including the
system beep, from being played until the application that uses it
terminates.  Perhaps something isn't cleaned up correctly by the
Process Manager.
--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476

pfluegerm@gtephx.UUCP (Mike Pflueger) (06/28/91)

In article <12252@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Darryl "NOT Ug" Lee) writes:
> In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:
>
> >My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
> >goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
> >problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
>
> add me to the list of "yes, this happens to me, but i have no idea
> why"
>
> actually, i use my 2si for LONG periods of time (well, ok, not THAT
> long, but maybe 4-5 hours at a pop) and have noticed the sound
> disappearing more often when i've been on the computer for a while.
>
> i think i can confirm that the computer needs to be shut-off then
> turned on before the sounds comes back.

Happens to me too.  No obvious pattern, but I suspect it has to do with
memory utilization.

I can get my sound back tho by going into the control panel, increasing
the volume 1 notch (I keep it at "1" normally), then resetting it back
to the original setting.

I'm using 7.0.  Didn't seem to happen nearly as much under 6.0.7, but it
might just be a particular app i've been running a lot lately...
--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm

philj@otago.ac.nz (06/28/91)

In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU>, costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:
> My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
> goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
> problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
> for a little while, and goes away again.  This happens both with System 7
> and 6.0.7.  Anyone else experience this?   Any ideas?
>
> -dan

Me to.  I have found that changing the volume to say 7 and then back to where
it was fixes the problem.  What I'd like to know is what is causing it?

Phil Jones (over-worked honours student)
University of Otago
Dunedin
New Zealand

jens@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) (06/28/91)

Darryl "NOT Ug" Lee writes:

>add me to the list of "yes, this happens to me, but i have no idea
>why"
>
>actually, i use my 2si for LONG periods of time (well, ok, not THAT
>long, but maybe 4-5 hours at a pop) and have noticed the sound
>disappearing more often when i've been on the computer for a while.
>
>i think i can confirm that the computer needs to be shut-off then
>turned on before the sounds comes back.
>
>sys 6.0.7 w/ a lotta inits, cdevs, etc...not a big problem, but
>curious like everyone else :}

Guess what, my IIsi does it too.  I find it highly annoying, but I've found
a way to force the sound back on:

Using the microphone I go into the Sound control panel and record a new
sound in which I tap on the mike a few times.  Playing it back brings back
the sound immediately.  It seems that a sudden loud sound like a mike tap
is enough to "jumpstart" the sound mechanism.

I suppose you could also do it by turning the volume all the way up, and
then turning it back to where you had it.  I'll try it the next time my
sound disappears & see...

God, isn't it annoying with problems like this which aren't reproducable
on demand:  you can't test your theories until next time...?

Oh well...  If someone at Apple is out there, perhaps they can tell us
what's going on?

--
Jens Johansen (jens@seas.gwu.edu)       | DISCLAIMER:  Hey, if you seriously
GTE Spacenet,                           |   believe I am speaking for anyone

laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun28.103207.633@otago.ac.nz>, philj@otago.ac.nz writes:

> In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU>, costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:
> > My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
> > goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
> > problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
> > for a little while, and goes away again.  This happens both with System 7
> > and 6.0.7.  Anyone else experience this?   Any ideas?
> >
> > -dan
>
> Me to.  I have found that changing the volume to say 7 and then back to where
> it was fixes the problem.  What I'd like to know is what is causing it?

I've been quiet too long. :-)  I've been running an si at home for a while now,
with no troubles whatsoever, even after several hours of OIDS.  I'm running
7.0 with about a dozen INITs.

Thanks,
Lee

roessli@sc2a.unige.ch (David C. Roessli) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun28.131553.1933@linus.mitre.org>, laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) writes:
> In article <1991Jun28.103207.633@otago.ac.nz>, philj@otago.ac.nz writes:
>>
>> In article <381@cogsci.ucsd.EDU>, costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:
>> > My Mac IIsi has this weird problem: after a couple of hours of use the sound
>> > goes away -- no more beeps, no more nothing.  Re-booting it does not fix the
>> > problem, but turning it off and back on DOES.  Sometimes the sound comes back
>> > for a little while, and goes away again.  This happens both with System 7
>> > and 6.0.7.  Anyone else experience this?   Any ideas?
>> >
>> > -dan
>>
>> Me to.  I have found that changing the volume to say 7 and then back to where
>> it was fixes the problem.  What I'd like to know is what is causing it?
>
> I've been quiet too long. :-)  I've been running an si at home for a while now,
> with no troubles whatsoever, even after several hours of OIDS.  I'm running
> 7.0 with about a dozen INITs.
So have i .. no problem whatsoever. Under 6.0.7 or 7.0 (i don'town OIDS though
- yet).

:david
--
David C. Roessli                        Email: david@scsun.unige.ch