[comp.sys.mac.system] Why isn't the System 7 "Keyboard Menu" coming up for me?

bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (06/26/91)

I've added a Dvorak keyboard setup to my Mac (running System 7.0), and
as other people who only know QWERTY use my Mac too, I'd like to be
able to switch back and forth between QWERTY and Dvorak more quickly
than having to pull out the Keyboard control panel all the time.

Much to my surprise, I saw mention of a "Keyboard" menu in _Inside
Macintosh VI_, as well as in a System 7 introduction book.  This would
do the trick nicely!

But how do I make it appear?  What do I need to add to or modify in my
system in order to coax the Keyboard menu to appear between my Help
menu and my Application menu?

I'm handy with ResEdit; technical descriptions and directions are
welcome.  I'll summarize here if I get a good answer through email,
but feel free to either email me or post here.

advThanks!

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

vkwx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/27/91)

In article <11228@idunno.Princeton.EDU>,
bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> Much to my surprise, I saw mention of a "Keyboard" menu in _Inside
> Macintosh VI_, as well as in a System 7 introduction book.  This would
> do the trick nicely!
>
> But how do I make it appear?  What do I need to add to or modify in my
> system in order to coax the Keyboard menu to appear between my Help
> menu and my Application menu?

This is a general description of how to create a new keyboard layout. I imagine
you've already accomplished the KCHR editing part. Make sure you've done the
other steps as well. The system needs to see that itlc bit set, as well as the
copies of the other necessary resources.

Here's how to "roll your own" keyboard layout, such as Dvorak.

     1. Using ResEdit 2.1, open your System file.
     2. Make copies of the resources listed below, by double-clicking on
the resource icon, selecting ID #0, choosing Copy, then choosing Paste.
Use any ID you want, but use the same number for all the resources.
        kcs#, kcs4, kcs8, itl0, itl1, itl2, itl4, KCHR
     3. Open the itlc resource (ID #0), and change the "Always show icon"
bit to 1.
     4. Change the name in the KCHR resource you just created to the name
you want to show in the keyboard menu, e.g. "U.S. Dvorak".
     5. Here's the fun part. Open the KCHR resource you created. Change
the layout by dragging characters from the block in the upper-left part
of the window to the keyboard diagram at the bottom. Hold down modifier
keys (e.g. shift, option) to change the layout for those characters, too.
     6. Save, quit, and restart. Voila!

Ed Swierk
Cornell University

vkwx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/27/91)

I was just playing around with my keyboard layouts a bit more after I posted
that last message, and I wanted to follow it up.

It is not necessary to duplicate the itl_ resources. Only the resources
beginning with 'k' need to be present.

After you create all the 'k' resources, you will notice that there is now a
keyboard layout in your system file, which you can move in and out just like
fonts and sounds.

If you later remove the new keyboard layout, the keyboard menu will still stay
there, because the "always show icon" bit in the itlc resources is set. I'm not
sure about this, but perhaps if that bit is off, the system will automatically
show the keyboard menu if you drag a keyboard layout file to the system file.

Neat stuff! Thank god for Inside Mac VI...

Ed Swierk
Cornell University

gentner@Apple.COM (Don Gentner) (06/28/91)

In article <11228@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>I've added a Dvorak keyboard setup to my Mac (running System 7.0), and
>as other people who only know QWERTY use my Mac too, I'd like to be
>able to switch back and forth between QWERTY and Dvorak more quickly
>than having to pull out the Keyboard control panel all the time.
>
>Much to my surprise, I saw mention of a "Keyboard" menu in _Inside
>Macintosh VI_, as well as in a System 7 introduction book.
>But how do I make it appear?  I'm handy with ResEdit.

Brian,
I'm glad you're handy with ResEdit, 'cuz here's what you gotta do.

Make a copy of your System file (for safety's sake) and open it with
ResEdit.  Open the "itlc" resource. Find the setting for "Always show
keybd. icon", and change the setting from 0 to 1.  Save your changes,
and try running with the new System file.  You should have a new icon
in the menu bar between the Help menu and the Application menu.  You
can pull down the keyboard menu to easily switch keyboards.  There's
also a keyboard shortcut (Cmd-Option-space) that switches keyboards
within a script system.  Cmd-space is a keyboard shortcut for switching
script systems (for example, switching between Roman and Kanji scripts).

Have fun.
                        Don
Don Gentner			email: gentner@apple.com
Apple Computer			telephone: 408 974-5198
10440 Bubb Rd, MS: 58A		fax: 408 974-0892
Cupertino, CA 95014		AppleLink: GENTNER

oael_wakeil@icaen.uiowa.edu (Ossama Aly El-Wakeil) (07/01/91)

After dowing what you posted in article 7972 and 7971.  The keyboard appears
to be working ok. but the us flag is showing for both keboards.
How to edit the keyboard icon ?  Another question: where to find the keyboard script resouces?

9