[comp.sys.mac.system] Why more memory capability can be a significant hassle!!

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/18/91)

icapon@registry.adelaide.edu.au (Nick Capon) writes:

>In article <53924@apple.Apple.COM> bc@apple.com (bill coderre) writes:
>>  Remember that a ROM upgrade
>> ....... might cause compatibility or configuration hassles
>> for people that manage networks of Macs.

>Seriously, how can more memory capability be a significant hassle??

Say I buy some new 32bit ROMs after finally having convinced management, that
lots of memory (VM or not) is great for geographic mapping projects, but
they'll only let me buy three sets of ROMs for installing in Mac-1, Mac-2
and Mac-3. Three weeks later I'll spend 1/2 hour every day, explaining a
student why s/he can't work on Mac-4 with the map s/he created yesterday
on Mac-3!
--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) (06/19/91)

>>Seriously, how can more memory capability be a significant hassle??
>
>Say I buy some new 32bit ROMs after finally having convinced management, that
>lots of memory (VM or not) is great for geographic mapping projects, but
>they'll only let me buy three sets of ROMs for installing in Mac-1, Mac-2
>and Mac-3. Three weeks later I'll spend 1/2 hour every day, explaining a
>student why s/he can't work on Mac-4 with the map s/he created yesterday
>on Mac-3!

Am I glad I read this note before I cashed my MegaBucks Lottery check!  I am
going to give it back.  I would hate to have to explain to all of those real
estate agents why I am living on the lake in a 5000 square foot Deck House, but
can't afford to buy another rental property from them.  Man, did I luck out.
8')

Cheers...Gary
mason@habs11.enet.dec.com

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/19/91)

 jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
> icapon@registry.adelaide.edu.au (Nick Capon) writes:
>
> >In article <53924@apple.Apple.COM> bc@apple.com (bill coderre) writes:
> >>  Remember that a ROM upgrade
> >> ....... might cause compatibility or configuration hassles
> >> for people that manage networks of Macs.
>
> >Seriously, how can more memory capability be a significant hassle??
>
> Say I buy some new 32bit ROMs after finally having convinced management, that
> lots of memory (VM or not) is great for geographic mapping projects, but
> they'll only let me buy three sets of ROMs for installing in Mac-1, Mac-2
> and Mac-3. Three weeks later I'll spend 1/2 hour every day, explaining a
> student why s/he can't work on Mac-4 with the map s/he created yesterday
> on Mac-3!

The problem here is your management, not the availability of ROM upgrades per
se.  The exact same problem would happen if you half-convinced your management
to buy a logic board upgrade for the Macs in question, such that you end up
with (say) three Mac IIcx's and three Mac IIci's.  Apple isn't refusing to sell
you new Macs out of concern for such problems.  In fact, they just lowered the
price of the upgrade to encourage you to go that route.

All you need to do to save the half-hour-per-day you're claiming you'll lose is
to put a sign on the machines in question.  "This Mac doesn't have as much
memory as the Mac next to it".

And besides, in the above I fail to see how the student in question would be
better off if there is *no* Mac to do what they want.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun18.140625.7876@gorm.ruc.dk> jba@gorm.ruc.dk
(Jan B. Andersen) writes:

>Say I buy some new 32bit ROMs after finally having convinced management, that
>lots of memory (VM or not) is great for geographic mapping projects, but
>they'll only let me buy three sets of ROMs for installing in Mac-1, Mac-2
>and Mac-3. Three weeks later I'll spend 1/2 hour every day, explaining a
>student why s/he can't work on Mac-4 with the map s/he created yesterday
>on Mac-3!

BFD.  Apple can solve this problem by putting an appropriate "clean ROM"
decal in each upgrade kit.  As part of the installation procedure, the
technician will attach the decal, covering the old machine name.
It won't take long for users to figure out that there's a big difference
between a "Macintosh SE/30" and a "Macintosh SE/30-cr"

--Carl Alexander                  |           BCS*Mac
News Editor, The Active Window    |  The Boston Computer Society
cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu          |     Macintosh Users Group

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (06/26/91)

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) writes:
|It won't take long for users to figure out that there's a big difference
|between a "Macintosh SE/30" and a "Macintosh SE/30-cr" [clean-ROM]

And that's exactly the reason that site managers might not want to
upgrade: they expect Macs to work the same.

But all this is neither dross nor scoria. Write to Apple if YOU want
a ROM upgrade. Explain why, and how much you think it should cost.

bill coderre
who frankly doesn't need more than 8M at once

ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) (06/27/91)

 Carl> == Carl J.M. Alexander <cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu>

 Carl> Apple can solve this problem by putting an appropriate "clean ROM"
 Carl> decal in each upgrade kit.[...]

There's even precedent for this one.  Remember the Apple //e's
"enhanced" ROMs (with the "Appleworks picture font" in them)?  They came
with a small "Enhanced" sticker that went over the power light.

--Chris (who fondly remembers the Autostart ROM and DOS 3.3...)
--
Christopher Davis <ckd@eff.org>   | ELECTRONIC MAIL WORDS OF WISDOM #5:
System Manager & Postmaster       |      "Internet mail headers are

WWalker@qualcomm.com (Bill Walker) (06/27/91)

In article <54335@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:
> bill coderre
> who frankly doesn't need more than 8M at once

Yet.  Wait a few months.

Internet: WWalker@qualcomm.com
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not reflect those of my employer.
"First thing we do, we kill all the lawyers" - Shakespeare

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (07/01/91)

In article <54335@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:
>cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) writes:
>|It won't take long for users to figure out that there's a big difference
>|between a "Macintosh SE/30" and a "Macintosh SE/30-cr" [clean-ROM]
  [Note:  I was responding here to a poster who hypothesized that
  sysadmins would be spending massive amounts of time explaining to
  users why apparently identical machines had different functionality.]

>And that's exactly the reason that site managers might not want to
>upgrade: they expect Macs to work the same....

Come on, Bill:  suppose Apple takes my suggestion--they're welcome to
it: I'll gladly sell the sticker idea and my rights to "SE/30-cr"
for one SE/30 32-bit clean ROM upgrade kit, installed  ;-).  So the
site manager of a college lab decides to have half their SE/30s
upgraded, leaving the sysadmins to deal with a lab where half the
Macs say SE/30 on the front and the other half say SE/30-cr.  Just
exactly how does this situation differ from that of a similar lab
where--right now, today--they have a bunch of Macs of which half
say IIcx on the front and the others say IIci?

>bill coderre
>who frankly doesn't need more than 8M at once

You will, Bill, you will....