[comp.sys.mac.system] Megamax C was Re: Why I Would Like "True Multitasking"

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (07/01/91)

In article <ingemar.678274689@isy.liu.se>, ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) writes:

> With the Think compilers around, and the tools available to modularize the
> code better, I don't think the Mac is a pain to program. However, trying
> to program in Megamax C or TML Pascal (pre-MPW) was a pain, especially
> without the "modularizing" tools (OOP libs, TransSkel, MacApp etc).

But Megamax C was so cool!  You would watch the thing chugging along -
letting the stack run into your video RAM (since you had used up all
the other available memory on the *Fat* Mac (Mac 512)) and as it came
closer to filling the whole screen and closer and closer and *POW*
it used up all available memory and you couldn't go any further (or
did it crash??? it was too long ago for me to remember).

In those days I had a saying: "I'm a commercial programmer - I program
during commercials!" And it took all the time in-between to compile
and link!

-- michael

P.S. And to think MacWeek still uses the program I developed back
then (my first Mac App & my first C program - never try to learn those
two together!) as a CPU benchmark! (EarthPlot for those who care...)

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE