[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help with MaxAppleZoom

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (05/04/90)

Has anyone had experience with MaxAppleZoom? This is an init that
reprograms the video card to give 704x512 instead of 640x480 on the same
screen!

I have a IIcx with the Apple 8-bit video card and a 13" AppleColor
monitor. The INIT tells me that it can't run on my hardware. The whole
system is about 1 month old. Thanks for any info...

Dave Waller  \  The opinions expressed are solely my own, and in no way
Hewlett-Packard Co.  \  represent those of my employer (but we all know
dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com | hplabs!hpdstma!dave  \  they should!)

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (05/04/90)

In article <9380001@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
>I have a IIcx with the Apple 8-bit video card and a 13" AppleColor
>monitor. The INIT tells me that it can't run on my hardware. The whole
>system is about 1 month old. Thanks for any info...

It probably won't work with your hardware.  If you read the documentation,
MaxAppleZoom will only work with an old 8-bit video card, aka
"Toby Frame Buffer Card."  If you wish to double-check which card
you have, you can use MacEnvy 2.1 and it'll tell you.  "Toby..." means
it'll work "Apple RGB..." means it won't.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | Now that I'm employed,
Consultant                 | standard disclaimer applies.   :-)

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (05/04/90)

In article <9380001@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
>Has anyone had experience with MaxAppleZoom? This is an init that
>reprograms the video card to give 704x512 instead of 640x480 on the same
>screen!

I've been using it for a couple of months, and it works great on
my system (Mac II, "Toby" video card, Magnavox monitor).

>I have a IIcx with the Apple 8-bit video card and a 13" AppleColor
>monitor. The INIT tells me that it can't run on my hardware. The whole
>system is about 1 month old. Thanks for any info...

MaxAppleZoom, as nice as it is, can't deal with the newer video cards.
The last I heard from him, Naoto Horii was working on getting it to
work on more cards, but this isn't easy.

I've also noted that the Mac II video utility cdev doesn't seem to
work with newer cards.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/05/90)

In article <9380001@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
> Has anyone had experience with MaxAppleZoom? This is an init that
> reprograms the video card to give 704x512 instead of 640x480 on the same
> screen!
>
> I have a IIcx with the Apple 8-bit video card and a 13" AppleColor
> monitor. The INIT tells me that it can't run on my hardware. The whole
> system is about 1 month old. Thanks for any info...

The current (1.2) version of MaxAppleZoom doesn't work with the newer
Apple 8-bit video card... it works only with the Toby card.

However... I got a nice postcard from the author, confirming receipt of
my registration fee... and he said that support for the new Apple card
will probably be his next project, as he's likely to be getting one.

/* BEGIN SOAPBOX MODE */

He also said that he's had a _VERY_ poor shareware-payment response from
users in the U.S... U.S. users are apparently reluctant to try to send
cash overseas, for fear of having it disappear en-route.  He doesn't
feel that this is a serious risk these days... and I agree, as long as
one takes the precaution of folding the $$ in a couple of sheets of
paper so that it isn't visible when you hold the envelope up to the
light.

C'mon, folks... if you're using MaxAppleZoom, _please_ send the author a
shareware payment as he requests.

/* END SOAPBOX MODE */

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (05/05/90)

>I have a IIcx with the Apple 8-bit video card and a 13" AppleColor
>monitor. The INIT tells me that it can't run on my hardware. The whole
>system is about 1 month old. Thanks for any info...

If you read the MacApplZoom Docs, you will see that it doesn't work on some of
the newer video cards. Since you have a IIcx, you have a relatively new
video card. Thus it won't work.

--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|   Peter Commons			"Zut, alors! I have meesed one!!!"    |

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (05/05/90)

In article <55857@coherent.coherent.com> dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>However... I got a nice postcard from the author, confirming receipt of
>my registration fee... and he said that support for the new Apple card
>will probably be his next project, as he's likely to be getting one.
>
>/* BEGIN SOAPBOX MODE */
>
>He also said that he's had a _VERY_ poor shareware-payment response from
>users in the U.S... U.S. users are apparently reluctant to try to send
>cash overseas, for fear of having it disappear en-route.

Well, I specifically bought a Toby card so I could run it as soon as
I get my IIcx.  (Yes, I have a video card sitting here, without a
machine...the life of a poor, starving, college student.  :-)  )
I definitely intend to send my payment -- what's the best manner
to send him money?  US check?  Money order?

Thanks --

Ken

--

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (05/05/90)

In article <21868@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <55857@coherent.coherent.com> dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>>He also said that he's had a _VERY_ poor shareware-payment response from
>>users in the U.S... U.S. users are apparently reluctant to try to send
>>cash overseas, for fear of having it disappear en-route.
>
>I definitely intend to send my payment -- what's the best manner
>to send him money?  US check?  Money order?

The documentation for MaxAppleZoom specifically requests that you send
cash.  He says that the problems with checks is that he has to pay a
fee to cash them, and the fee can be as much as the check.  I don't
know why a money order would be a problem, but he does ask for cash.

I was (at least one) who mentioned the problem of sending cash.  Maybe
it's not a reasonable fear, but I was brought up hearing "never send
cash through the mail".  I sent the cash anyway, and it got there
fine.  Still, I felt apprehensive about it.

Then again, as Naoto Horii himself said, not sending anything is the
surest way for him to not get your payment.
--

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (05/08/90)

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:

> /* BEGIN SOAPBOX MODE */
>
> He also said that he's had a _VERY_ poor shareware-payment response from
> users in the U.S... U.S. users are apparently reluctant to try to send
> cash overseas, for fear of having it disappear en-route.  He doesn't
> feel that this is a serious risk these days... and I agree, as long as
> one takes the precaution of folding the $$ in a couple of sheets of
> paper so that it isn't visible when you hold the envelope up to the
> light.
>
> C'mon, folks... if you're using MaxAppleZoom, _please_ send the author a
> shareware payment as he requests.
>
> /* END SOAPBOX MODE */

Well, as you already know, I am unable to use this neat INIT at this
writing. However...

I must throw my voice into this plea to send the author his fair
payment. If I could use the INIT, my $$ would be in the mail right now.
Those of you using the thing must realize that, in order to continue
getting neat pieces of code like this for basically trivial amounts of
money, we MUST support the shareware concept. Get off your butts and
mail the guy his $25!

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:

> The documentation for MaxAppleZoom specifically requests that you send
> cash.  He says that the problems with checks is that he has to pay a
> fee to cash them, and the fee can be as much as the check.  I don't
> know why a money order would be a problem, but he does ask for cash.

Shouldn't be. There is an instrument know as an "International Money
Order" that should cost  Naoto much if anything at all to cash. Look
into it.

Dave Waller  \  The opinions expressed are solely my own, and in no way
Hewlett-Packard Co.  \  represent those of my employer (but we all know
dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com | hplabs!hpdstma!dave  \  they should!)

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/09/90)

[ message from dave platt about paying the share ware fee deleted]

Dave, how much was the postage? I just installed it yesterday and it seems
to work beautifully. (macsbug doesn't seem to recognize it )

When I open and close windows, the sides of the screen seems to grow
and shrink a little. Is the some adjustment to stop this?

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com

kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (05/09/90)

In article <9380002@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
|dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
|| /* BEGIN SOAPBOX MODE */
|| He also said that he's had a _VERY_ poor shareware-payment response from
|| users in the U.S... U.S. users are apparently reluctant to try to send
|| cash overseas, for fear of having it disappear en-route.
|| /* END SOAPBOX MODE */
|
|Well, as you already know, I am unable to use this neat INIT at this
|writing. However...
|
|I must throw my voice into this plea to send the author his fair
|payment. If I could use the INIT, my $$ would be in the mail
|right now.

Irrespective of the risks and benefits of shareware, what's the
big deal about writing the guy a check?  Maybe it's common to
send "cash" (bank notes) through the mails in the UK, but it is
to be discouraged in US.

But so what?  I can't imagine it being so very hard to establish
an account at the British equivalent of a commercial bank so the
author can deposit checks written for US dollars.  Nor is it so
very hard to get a bank check written here in Pounds Sterling.

Or any other European currency.  (Well, rubles would be
difficult, I suppose 8-)
--
David Kassover             "Proper technique helps protect you against
kassover@ra.crd.ge.com	    sharp weapons and dull judges."

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/10/90)

In article <7464@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David
Kassover) writes:

> But so what?  I can't imagine it being so very hard to establish
> an account at the British equivalent of a commercial bank so the
> author can deposit checks written for US dollars.  Nor is it so
> very hard to get a bank check written here in Pounds Sterling.

Well... It's not (in Sweden) Only the fee is about $5-$7.
You might see notices like "Money order $15, Cheque $21"
in the future...

Why don't you have Giro like normal people ?

						h+

   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte
                    longer .sig available on request