[comp.sys.mac.misc] Joining binhexed files?

beasley@cwns3.INS.CWRU.Edu (William Beasley) (05/03/90)

Low-level question from net novice:
I'm pleased that I've figured out how to FTP Mac files over the net,
and how to un-binhex them and unstuff them to get them working. I'm
comfortable with that now. However, I can't seem to figure out how
to cope with them when they come in multiple parts (foo.1of5, foo.2of5,
etc). Have tried un-binhexing them separately and get error message.
Tried concatenating them and unbinhexing the result and got error message.
There is no doubt a simple and obvious solution. What is it?

Please reply via Email to aa002@cleveland.freenet.edu

Thanks.
Wm. Beasley

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.134238.20598@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> beasley@cwns3.INS.CWRU.Edu (William Beasley) writes:

   Low-level question from net novice:
   I'm pleased that I've figured out how to FTP Mac files over the net,
   and how to un-binhex them and unstuff them to get them working. I'm
   comfortable with that now. However, I can't seem to figure out how
   to cope with them when they come in multiple parts (foo.1of5, foo.2of5,
   etc). Have tried un-binhexing them separately and get error message.
   Tried concatenating them and unbinhexing the result and got error message.
   There is no doubt a simple and obvious solution. What is it?

You concatanate the files, but you first have to strip out the header
from them (from 2 on) and any trailer on any of them...

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | Reality is a function of the delusion factor
MB 3130/Brandeis University  | For those about to Rock, we salute you!
PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254 | Life's a beach & then you drown! Catch the Wave
753 South Street, " MA 02154 - Effective 9-1-90.  Rooms available for sub-let!

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (05/04/90)

I suggested that the person use the United program. It will remove
headers _and_ combine multiple files! It's great!

I don't know where you could FTP it from, but I have a copy. I probably
shouldn't say this, but...write me if you want it. Now that I think of
it, it is most likely available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu -- yuck,
stanford :-)

Write me or go to sumex or find someplace else --- it's up to you.

--Michael L Barrow
mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu
o MIT Information Systems/Information Services MCR Consultant
o Project Athena Volunteer User Consultant
o Member, Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

c60c-3cf@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) (05/04/90)

In article <ALAND.90May3234054@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>In article <1990May3.134238.20598@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> beasley@cwns3.INS.CWRU.Edu (William Beasley) writes:
>
>   Low-level question from net novice:
>   I'm pleased that I've figured out how to FTP Mac files over the net,
>   and how to un-binhex them and unstuff them to get them working. I'm
>   comfortable with that now. However, I can't seem to figure out how
>   to cope with them when they come in multiple parts (foo.1of5, foo.2of5,
>   etc). Have tried un-binhexing them separately and get error message.
>   Tried concatenating them and unbinhexing the result and got error message.
>   There is no doubt a simple and obvious solution. What is it?
>
>You concatanate the files, but you first have to strip out the header
>from them (from 2 on) and any trailer on any of them...

	Or you can just use mcvert!  It's a unix utility that (un)binhexes
files. It has multi-unbinhexing capability you are just looking for.  It also
directly unbinhexes concatenated files without truncating headers.  It's
an ideal utility for Mac user with unix account.  You can get one via
sumex-aim and it's at info-mac/unix.  It's shard so you just unshar and
make it and install.  after that all you have to do is "mcvert *.hqx" and
it unbinhexes all *.hqx files.  No pain.  If your site doesn't have one,
get it now!

---
##################  Dan The "I grok therefore I am God" Man
+ ____  __  __   +  (Aka Dan Kogai)
+     ||__||__|  +  E-mail:     dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu
+ ____| ______   +  Voice:      415-549-6111
+ |     |__|__|  +  USnail:     1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709
+ |___  |__|__|  +              U.S.A
+     |____|____ +  Disclaimer: I'd rather be blackmailed for my long .sig
+   \_|    |     +              than give up my cool name in Kanji. And my
+ <- THE MAN  -> +              citizenship of People's Republic o' Berkeley
##################              has nothing 2 do w/ whatever I post, ThanQ.

cs223101@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 223/01011) (05/04/90)

You can also use a program like United 2.2 (from Sumex) or even Stuffit
(although my version complains a lot) to re-join files.  I believe the
command in Stuffit is under FILES, called Journal?
[RICH]

c60c-3cf@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) (05/08/90)

In article <3254@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cs223101@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (CMSC 223/01011) writes:
>You can also use a program like United 2.2 (from Sumex) or even Stuffit
>(although my version complains a lot) to re-join files.  I believe the
>command in Stuffit is under FILES, called Journal?
>[RICH]

	No!  Stuffit joins only files splitted by Stuffit--it is basically
for splitting Stuffit file larger than 800k so you can put it into diskettes.
(You can split normal files but it's really basic).  And it's officially
(I mean what appears in menu) called "segment".
	But here's a good news.  Stuffit 1.5.1 has binhexing|unbinhexing
feature. I never tried it since I always use mcvert but I doubt it can
unbinhex multiple files (I think that's what united is made for).  Correct
me if I'm wrong.
	Things like (un)binhexing is totally antiMacintosh and it wastes
transfer time.  Let better CLI environments as unix to do that kind of chore
and mcvert does its job much faster and much easier.

---
##################  Dan The "Blasphemer of Mac fan" Man
+ ____  __  __   +  (Aka Dan Kogai)
+     ||__||__|  +  E-mail:     dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu
+ ____| ______   +  Voice:      415-549-6111
+ |     |__|__|  +  USnail:     1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709
+ |___  |__|__|  +              U.S.A
+     |____|____ +  Disclaimer: I'd rather be blackmailed for my long .sig
+   \_|    |     +              than give up my cool name in Kanji. And my
+ <- THE MAN  -> +              citizenship of People's Republic o' Berkeley
##################              has nothing 2 do w/ whatever I post, ThanQ.

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/08/90)

I got two files from the archives at Rice University that are labeled part1
and part2.  They are hqx files but when I try to unbinhex either of them
I get an error.  Do these files need to be joined togther also in some
manner?  Thank you.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=                Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

mocko@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Gary S. Mocko) (05/09/90)

In article <2818@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>I got two files from the archives at Rice University that are labeled part1
>and part2.  They are hqx files but when I try to unbinhex either of them
>I get an error.  Do these files need to be joined togther also in some
>manner?  Thank you.

---------------------------------------

AUGHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

doesn't anyone else think the major ftp sites ought to include a few
tutorial paragraphs in a file called something like:

tutorial.ftp.transfers.[please.read.this.before.you.start.asking.questions.
about.ftp.or.what.to.do.with.these.files.after.you.get.them].txt?

i have a two page explaination that i've been making available around here,
but, of course, it's tailored to describe procedures in the s/w we use
the most.  could become generic without too much work.

i'll admit it took me a while to figure out what was needed to make ftp'ed
files worth the effort.  it doesn't seem like i had a unique problem, though.

...gary

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (05/10/90)

In article <1383@marlin.NOSC.MIL> mocko@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Gary S. Mocko) writes:

   doesn't anyone else think the major ftp sites ought to include a few
   tutorial paragraphs in a file called something like:

   tutorial.ftp.transfers.[please.read.this.before.you.start.asking.questions.
   about.ftp.or.what.to.do.with.these.files.after.you.get.them].txt?

I seem to remember there being a file README.00 or something similar
on most FTP sites, in at least one directory.  And I have a vague
memory of that file being instructions on FTP'ing and using the files.

mocko@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Gary S. Mocko) (05/10/90)

In article <ALAND.90May9105020@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>In article <1383@marlin.NOSC.MIL> mocko@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Gary S. Mocko) writes:
>
>   doesn't anyone else think the major ftp sites ought to include a few
>   tutorial paragraphs in a file called something like:
>
>   tutorial.ftp.transfers.[please.read.this.before.you.start.asking.questions.
>   about.ftp.or.what.to.do.with.these.files.after.you.get.them].txt?
>
>I seem to remember there being a file README.00 or something similar
>on most FTP sites, in at least one directory.  And I have a vague
>memory of that file being instructions on FTP'ing and using the files.
>--

i'll admit i'm a UNIX rookie.  i have yet to find an =ftp= command that'll
let me read a =README= file.  i find it annoying to transfer one of these
and then quit to have to read it.  the other alternative is to transfer
more than one, in which case they either get clobbered or a forget where
they came from in the first place.

anyone can say =README= ... i just thought a more helpful title could be
thought of, [and i know that one i suggested is the other extreme of
ridiculous].

...gary

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (05/10/90)

In article <1386@marlin.NOSC.MIL> mocko@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Gary S. Mocko) writes:

   i'll admit i'm a UNIX rookie.  i have yet to find an =ftp= command that'll
   let me read a =README= file.  i find it annoying to transfer one of these
   and then quit to have to read it.  the other alternative is to transfer
   more than one, in which case they either get clobbered or a forget where
   they came from in the first place.

bsd 4.3 ftp and its kin will do this:
	ftp> get README "|more"
and show it to you on-screen.

indeed the creative can use
	ftp> get jumbo.tar.Z "|zcat|tar vtf -"
to scope out tar files, tho you'd best be sparing of this on slow links.

From TFM:

FILE NAMING CONVENTIONS
     Local files specified as arguments to ftp commands are  pro-
     cessed according to the following rules.

     1)   If the file name `-' is specified, the  standard  input
          (for reading) or standard output (for writing) is used.

     2)   If the first character of the file  name  is  `|',  the
          remainder  of  the  argument  is interpreted as a shell
          command.  ftp then forks a shell, using popen(3S)  with
          the  argument  supplied,  and  reads  (writes) from the
          standard output (standard input) of that shell.  If the
          shell  command  includes SPACE characters, the argument
          must be quoted; for example `"| ls -lt"'.   A  particu-
          larly  useful  example  of  this  mechanism  is: `dir |
          more'.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept.
emv@math.lsa.umich.edu