[comp.sys.mac.misc] 4 MB Chips

d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) (05/24/90)

In article <9472@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>I've been wondering about the 4MB chips for a while, so I called a
>distributor (South Coast Electronics) and asked a few questions, the
>answers to which may be of general interest:
> - You can't put in just 2 4MB chips into a MacIIc* or SE/30.  You have
>   to have each bank of 4 slots totally filled with the same capacity
>   chip.
> - You can't access more than 8MB until System 7.0 comes out, unless you
>   have Aux (OK, probably everbody already knows that)

I bought 4MB chips from Technology Works. I have now 20MB in my IIci, the
finder can only see 8MB, BUT Technology Works ships a neat ramdisk with the
chips. It is the best ramdisk I have found, it writes to the ramdisk
*and* the harddisk at the same time and reads only from the ramdisk. This makes
it very secure and fast. 12MB ramdisk is enough for me :-). To bad that the
ramdisk don't work with less then 16MB of ram. It is called NanoDisk.

- Martin Carlberg
- Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden