[comp.sys.mac.misc] "Symbolic links" with the finder?

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) (05/05/90)

I have all my applications in a folder called "Applications."

How can I launch a given application when I am deep
down in some folder far far away from "Applications"?

I know there are a lot of launching programs out there,
I have been using the "Disktools" DA for this, but what
I really would like is some sort of mechanism like
a symbolic link provides in the Unix environment,
ie create a link to an application in the "Applications"
folder.

Know what I mean?

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

chuq@Apple.COM (The Bounty Hunter) (05/05/90)

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:

>I have all my applications in a folder called "Applications."

>How can I launch a given application when I am deep
>down in some folder far far away from "Applications"?

Disktop Launch (part of Disktop 3.0) or OnCue will do it. Both are INITs.
Another option is to keep a template/empty data file for the appropriate
application handy. Double-click on it and it brings up the application. A
nice touch of templates is that you can (for most decent apps) set them up
with all the normal options that you can't otherwise set.

>I really would like is some sort of mechanism like
>a symbolic link provides in the Unix environment,
>ie create a link to an application in the "Applications"
>folder.

>Know what I mean?

Yup. It's called file aliases. It's in system 7.0, coming relatively soon to
a theater or drive-in near you.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

I regret to announce that--though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too
short a time to spend among you--this is the end. I am going. Good-bye.
		-- Bilbo

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (05/06/90)

In article <1433@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
>I have all my applications in a folder called "Applications."
>
>How can I launch a given application when I am deep
>down in some folder far far away from "Applications"?
>
>I know there are a lot of launching programs out there,
>I have been using the "Disktools" DA for this, but what
>I really would like is some sort of mechanism like
>a symbolic link provides in the Unix environment,
>ie create a link to an application in the "Applications"
>folder.

Well, it's supposedly available in System 7.0 and it's known as "aliasing".

Kok-Yong Tan can be contacted via: 	| "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu	|    	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256	      	   	|
America Online: Lallang	      	   	|

c60c-3cf@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) (05/08/90)

In article <1433@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
>I have all my applications in a folder called "Applications."

	That's not a good idea--applications like Think (Lightspeed) C and
a lot of other applications need more than applications themselves.  Better
make a folder for each application (or group of similar applications)
and put all related files in it, Word4 folder for MS Word and dictionaries,
for example.

>How can I launch a given application when I am deep
>down in some folder far far away from "Applications"?

	That is one of the shortcoming of MacOS but such application/INITs
as Quickey|OnQue|Blackbox is there to resolve that shortcoming.  With
5000 files in my 140Mb HD, I rarely use finder these days except when I feel
like seeing Oscar sings happily.

>I know there are a lot of launching programs out there,
>I have been using the "Disktools" DA for this, but what
>I really would like is some sort of mechanism like
>a symbolic link provides in the Unix environment,
>ie create a link to an application in the "Applications"
>folder.
>
>Know what I mean?

	I know what you mean.  Symlink is one of the greatest features of
BSD Unix.  But MacOS's implementation of file system is completely defferent
from Unix.  In Unix directory itself is file.  Not MacOS.  But fRefNum and
inode is similar concept and maybe one can implement a init that extends Finder
and File Manager to deal with symlink.  Finder will have "link to..." menu
and creats file that holds fRefNum|folder that links to or modifies Destop
file.  And the ICN# that looks like "->" will be added, too.  File type is
of course, "SLNK".
	BTW.  Disktools has problem launching program under Multifinder.
I have it and use a lot but I don't use its feature.  I use OnQue instead.

---
##################  Dan The "I grok therefore I am God" Man
+ ____  __  __   +  (Aka Dan Kogai)
+     ||__||__|  +  E-mail:     dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu
+ ____| ______   +  Voice:      415-549-6111
+ |     |__|__|  +  USnail:     1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709
+ |___  |__|__|  +              U.S.A
+     |____|____ +  Disclaimer: I'd rather be blackmailed for my long .sig
+   \_|    |     +              than give up my cool name in Kanji. And my
+ <- THE MAN  -> +              citizenship of People's Republic o' Berkeley
##################              has nothing 2 do w/ whatever I post, ThanQ.

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (05/24/90)

In <2456@network.ucsd.edu> barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) writes:

>There are times when having symbolic links would be nice.  In fact, I
>can think of one case where they would be handy (I'm facing a problem
>links would solve)...

>Wouldn't it be possible to create a second directory entry for one
>file and have, say, an INIT watch over the links to make sure the
>user doesn't try to use a link to access a file that has been
>deleted or moved?

Personally, I like a filesystem that supports "hard" links.
(like UNIX :-)

If properly implemented, they don't require a hack to make sure
references are correct--they always are.

At any rate, any modern filesystem should provide some kind
of efficient aliasing for files, and perhaps even directories.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company(sm)]

mhoeffli@groovy.intel.com (Michael Hoefflinger) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May24.164053.15352@siia.mv.com> drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) writes:

>At any rate, any modern filesystem should provide some kind
>of efficient aliasing for files, and perhaps even directories.

From memory of a demo of System 7.0 given at Purdue University:

I believe that System 7.0 will support aliasing of files via the
usage of a file that more or less just contains the actual
location of the file being aliased.

This would allow things like NeXT's application dock to be implemented
very handily.  I'm sure there are 1XE31 other things you can do with it
that I'm just not creative enough to come up with.

Perhaps commentary from Apple would result in a clearer picture...

======== cat flames.txt > /dev/null/ =========================================
  _ _ _					    | Doing the right thing and
 ' ) ) )   /      mhoeffli@mipos2.intel.com |    doing things right - Kawasaki
  / / / o /_  _   INTEL, Santa Clara, CA    | Grace Under Pressure - Hemingway
 / ' (_<_/ <_</_  Si cc 586:  Design Auto.  | The Journey is the Reward - Jobs
======== #include <std_disclaimer.h> =========================================

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (05/28/90)

In comp.sys.mac.misc, article <1990May24.164053.15352@siia.mv.com>,
<
< >There are times when having symbolic links would be nice.  In fact, I
< >can think of one case where they would be handy (I'm facing a problem
< >links would solve)...
<
A big hello to System 7.0, which does exactly this...

< Personally, I like a filesystem that supports "hard" links.
< (like UNIX :-)
< If properly implemented, they don't require a hack to make sure
< references are correct--they always are.
<
Unfortunately, there's these major disadvantages -- hard links only work if
you're on the same disk, and there are ways to break them (like removing the
file and creating a new copy) which leave two versions of your document lying
around. The 7.0 Alias Manager does get around these problems quite well.

The only problem I have with it is that applications are supposed to check for
aliases yourself (Standard File and the Finder do it for you, but if you alias
your dictionary files to the server because your hard disk is full the
application has to unalias it by itself. Not so good, but it's still Alpha
release and maybe Apple finds out how to change that...).

< At any rate, any modern filesystem should provide some kind
< of efficient aliasing for files, and perhaps even directories.
<
Or volumes (possibly on remote servers, and maybe even on servers which are at
the moment disconnected). Or even trash cans. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs