[comp.sys.mac.misc] TidBITS 5/21/90 - Issue 6

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/29/90)

Index of TidBITS 5/21/90 - Issue 6

    5/21/90 - Reviews
    Garfield Strikes Back
    Electronic Books
    Windows Hoopla Cubed
    The ToolBook Toolbox
    MacUsenet
    A/UX Grows Up

       TidBITS is available in comp.sys.mac.digest and from
    sumex-aim.stanford.edu and rascal.ics.utexas.edu via anonymous
    FTP.

       -Adam

    --
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/30/90)

I sure wish this tidbits stuff wasn't encoded in binhex.  it's much
smaller than the comp.sys.mac.digest, which is not encoded -- why must
tidbits be encoded?  Don't most usenet news site use data compression
in transmission, making obviating the need for binhex?

wichers@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (John Wichers) (05/30/90)

In article <71100009@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I sure wish this tidbits stuff wasn't encoded in binhex.  it's much
>smaller than the comp.sys.mac.digest, which is not encoded -- why must
>tidbits be encoded?  Don't most usenet news site use data compression
>in transmission, making obviating the need for binhex?

The problem is that it is a hypercard stack, *not* a text file (like comp.
sys.mac.digest). A hypercard stack is a binary file, and you can't post
binary files (well, actually you can. You just can't do it successfully =8^)
What binhex does is it converts the file from binary to ascii, so that it
can get posted. It does not compress the file (StuffIt is the standard
compression utility).

Note: one reason many files are compressed before they get binhexed is to
reduce disk space, and not necessarily to speed up transmission.

--jjw

__
Hail to the sungod.   || John Wichers || wichers@husc4.harvard.edu
He sure is a fun god. || 121 Museum St #2, Somerville Ma. 02143
Ra! Ra! Ra!           || Anarchy - It's not a law, it's just a good idea.
|| Jesus saves sinners ... and redeems them for valuable cash prizes!!! ||

chuq@Apple.COM (That's MR. Idiot to you) (05/31/90)

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>why must
>tidbits be encoded?  Don't most usenet news site use data compression
>in transmission, making obviating the need for binhex?

Except that Tidbits is a hypercard stack and binary data, so it can't be
transmitted without being encoded.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It isn't easy being green.		-- Kermit

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (05/31/90)

In article <71100009@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I sure wish this tidbits stuff wasn't encoded in binhex. ...-- why must
>tidbits be encoded?  Don't most usenet news site use data compression

Binhex encoding is not for data compression, but to allow binary (non-text)
files to be mailed.  In the case of Tidbits, it's a Hypercard stack.  You
could argue that a Hypercard stack is overkill for reading text, though.

--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com