[comp.sys.mac.misc] info sought on CD ROMs

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/30/90)

I just paid my money to purchase an Apple CD ROM drive and am now wondering
what to get to put in it (I know I need CDs but I don't know which ones to get
:-) ), anyway - I heard about the BMUG CD which is supposed to contain lots and
lots of public domain and shareware stuff, but being in the UK etc. I'm not
sure how to contact them and how to order the CD.  Anyone got any info on
what's actually on this CD (if I'm not imagining it) and how I go about
ordering it from the UK.  Anyone got any info on any other CDs that you can
recommend?  Until I get some CD ROMs its just an expensive CD player...

Ta very much

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Liverpool University,     * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX   "When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. I could tell
(UK) 051-794-3689     you things about Peter Pan, and the Wizard of Oz - there's
                      a dirty old man." - Tom Lehrer, "Smut!"

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (05/31/90)

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:

>I just paid my money to purchase an Apple CD ROM drive and am now
>wondering what to get to put in it (I know I need CDs but I don't know
>which ones to get :-) ), anyway - I heard about the BMUG CD which is
>supposed to contain lots and lots of public domain and shareware stuff,
>but being in the UK etc. I'm not sure how to contact them and how to
>order the CD.  Anyone got any info on what's actually on this CD (if
>I'm not imagining it) and how I go about ordering it from the UK.
>Anyone got any info on any other CDs that you can recommend?  Until I
>get some CD ROMs its just an expensive CD player...

If you have Applelink, there is a listing of third party CD-ROM products
on the developer services board.  I'll see about getting it available
somewhere for anonymous ftp.  Like all such lists, it's incomplete and
out of date.

The BMUG PD-ROM is a large collection of public-domain and shareware.
There are several other such CD-ROMs; Boston Computer Society, QLTech,
and Educorp all make them.
  KimTec UK
  8, Highland Road
  Wimborne Dorset, BH21 2QN
  Tel: 44-202/888-873
  Fax: 44-202/888-863

QLTech sells several variations on the "virusware" CD-ROM, including
"The Right Stuffed"; all the junk you ever wanted to load onto a BBS,
already in StuffIt format.  A distributor in the UK is
  Future Office Systems
  Firs House
  High Street
  Whitchurch
  Aylesbury Bucks HP22 4LL
  Tel: 44-296/64110
  Fax: 44-296/641-869

Both of the distributors listed above are taken from a little pamphlet I
picked up at MacWorld called "CD-ROM Shopper's Guide."  It's published
by
  DDRI, Inc.
  510 N. Washington Street
  Suite 401
  Falls Church, VA 22046-3537 USA
  Tel: 703.237.0682
  Toll-Free in US: 800.688.DDRI

Apple's d e v e l o p magazine is a quarterly which comes with a CD-ROM.
Starting with the second issue, each CD-ROM contains "developer
essentials" such as the Spinside Mac, Tech Notes, and Q&A stacks; the
latest version of all of our foreign language software; every version of
our US software; DTS sample code; and a variety of other software and
documentation.  (This is a subset of what's on the Developer CD series
discs such as "A Disk Called Wanda.")  $30/year US, $50/year otherwise.
  d e v e l o p
  Apple Computer, Inc.
  P.O. Box 531
  Mt. Morris, IL 61054 USA
  Fax Orders: 619.485.5547

A reasonable source for CD-ROM titles in the US is
  Bureau of Electronic Publishing
  141 New Road
  Parsippany NJ 07054 USA
  Tel: 201.808.2700
  Fax: 201.808.2676

Disclaimer:  I haven't tried any of these addresses or phone numbers.
I'm reporting what I read, not actual experience.  All my CDs walk into
my office and plop themselves down on my chair.  Your mileage may vary.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"