[comp.sys.mac.misc] Need better way to produce PostScript files

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (05/30/90)

	We're starting to gear up to produce PS files to be downloaded to a
Linotype service bureau.  I did the ResEdit hack to my LaserPrinter driver
to add a "print to disk file" checkbox, but I'm looking for something even
better.  The problem with the checkbox is you end up with a file called
PostScript0 in your PrintMonitor spool folder.  What I would really like is
to end up with a file with some useful name (original-document-name.ps, for
example) in the current folder.  Does anybody know a way to make that
happen?

	I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but this is going to be
used by "just plain folks" and every step that can be eliminated makes it
that much more likely that people will be able to deal with it without
having to be walked through each time.  I have already decided to not bother
getting people to compress their files with StuffIt before downloading
because that adds another couple of un-needed steps.  Every step I can knock
off is a win.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May30.142416.27725@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	We're starting to gear up to produce PS files to be downloaded to a
>Linotype service bureau.  I did the ResEdit hack to my LaserPrinter driver
>to add a "print to disk file" checkbox, but I'm looking for something even
>better.  The problem with the checkbox is you end up with a file called
>PostScript0 in your PrintMonitor spool folder.  What I would really like is
>to end up with a file with some useful name (original-document-name.ps, for
>example) in the current folder.  Does anybody know a way to make that
>happen?

There's an INIT called LaserFix which will do this for you - puts up a
file selector box when you print.  I tried it but shied of again after
it seemed to be interfering with WindowShade (on a small screen Mac with
MultiFinder I can't live without WindowShade!).  I guess I ought to
follow this up and report it properly...

Sam Wilson
Edinburgh University

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May30.142416.27725@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	We're starting to gear up to produce PS files to be downloaded to a
>Linotype service bureau.  I did the ResEdit hack to my LaserPrinter driver
>to add a "print to disk file" checkbox, but I'm looking for something even
>better.  The problem with the checkbox is you end up with a file called
>PostScript0 in your PrintMonitor spool folder.  What I would really like is
>to end up with a file with some useful name (original-document-name.ps, for
>example) in the current folder.  Does anybody know a way to make that
>happen?

In the info-mac archives (ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu, logname
anonymous, password anything), get the file info-mac/util/laser-fix-10.hqx.
The spelling may be slightly different.
This init will not only put a "print to disk file" checkbox in your
Laserwriter Print dialog, but it will give you a standard file-saving
dialog so that you can name and locate the postcript file as you like.

Disclaimer: I recently downloaded this init, and haven't tried it.  This
is what the documentation file claims it does, and there's no particular
reason to doubt the author.
--
Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
Inst. of Education, U. of London                            -Buckaroo Banzai