[comp.sys.mac.misc] Virtual '030, Apple's VM Init.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (06/01/90)

In article <1990May29.144632.25946@uswmrg2.UUCP> steve@uswmrg2.UUCP (Steve Martin) writes:

>Actually this brings up a very interesting point.  How many people are
>currently using VM on their Macs?  I am using Virtual '030 on my IIcx
>and have found no instances of software that crashes.  I often use:
>
>Excel 2.2
>Word  4.0
>MacProject II
>MPW 3.01
>ThinkC 4.06
>NCSA Telnet 2.3
>White Knight 11.06
>
>And a host of utilities and INITs running under System 6.0.5.  Has anyone
>ran into an application that does not work under VM?  Why don't we start
>a list now and see what might create problems when 7.0 comes out!

The one program I've seen that has trouble with Virtual '030 2.0 is
Redux 1.62.  For some reason, the program slows down so much it is
absolutely unusable.  (I'm not talking about the normal, reasonable
slowdown that occurs with virtual memory.)  I would almost suspect
something other than Virtual, but if Virtual is the *ONLY* thing
removed from the system configuration, Redux 1.62 works fine.  I've not
noticed any other programs that have trouble with Virtual.

One other question.  Is Apple's Virtual Memory Init (1.0d10) set up to
work only with 7.0 or above?  It's definitely no-go with 6.0.4 on a IIcx.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!secola!oiscola!dbarnhar

inews fodder below, hit 'n' to skip . . .