[comp.sys.mac.misc] Stereo Sounds?

adam@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (05/30/90)

ralphm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ralph Melton) writes:
> The Mac SE/30 and above has have a stereo output jack.
>
> When I plug in headphones to the jack, I can hear the sound in both
> ears. I'm looking for sounds that have true stereo separation.

I haven't poked around inside my II enough, but I was under the
impression that while the jack was indeed two-channeled, they were
hard-wired together. That is to say, there's no way to do true stereo
sound on the mac without expensive external hardware.

What's the story?

Adam
--
"Her ample bosom quivered in the night air like a whale trying
 to scratch its back." - Kevin Lauderdale

MAC111@psuvm.psu.edu (PAMUG user group) (05/31/90)

hmm... you people need some stereo sounds to play :) my IIci plays stereo
sounds fine. from the internal speaker it only plays one channel (the left
i think) ... but from the headphone port, you can play true stereo sounds.
it's tough to record stereo w/ only one recorder (not impossible... just
difficult to time things right) ... i'll be uploading some simpsons sounds
and probably other sounds while i'm at it, so i might as well throw in a few
small stereo sounds. -- dont expect them too soon, i'm on a 2400bps connection,
and it can take a while to upload them :)

Adrian Sullivan, axs@psuarch.bitnet, VP PAmug user group

PAMUG - Pennsylvania Apple Microcomputer User Group       mac111@psuvm.psu.edu
Little Mac bbs - (814) 237-1605 (settings 8n1, 24hr)      mac111@psuvm.bitnet

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/31/90)

1. Has ANYBODY started a list of software that doesn't work on system
   6.0.5 yet ?  I just got my IIfx, which requires 6.0.5 (reportedly)
   and am discovering software that doesn't work anymore  8-(
2. Add Excell to the list
3. Add kermit (I guess) to the list too.
4. Anybody know the status of fixes for these 'bugs'?

al

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (06/01/90)

In article <2562@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Adam Glass) writes:
>ralphm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ralph Melton) writes:
>> The Mac SE/30 and above has have a stereo output jack.
>>
>> When I plug in headphones to the jack, I can hear the sound in both
>> ears. I'm looking for sounds that have true stereo separation.
>
>I haven't poked around inside my II enough, but I was under the
>impression that while the jack was indeed two-channeled, they were
>hard-wired together. That is to say, there's no way to do true stereo
>sound on the mac without expensive external hardware.i

I did a little applied research today and found that the headphone jack on a
Mac SE is wired only in the left channel.  This is presumably the case for
Mac Pluses as well.  The portable, SE/30 and Mac II variants all have stereo
capability via the headphone jack.

The standard system beeps are all in mono.  I made a stereo 'snd ' resource
and pasted it into the system file but the sound would not even play.
This makes sense since the the replacement sound manager chapter says on
page 32 that only single monophonic sounds are supported.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com