[comp.sys.mac.misc] Faulty Shift Key

irwin@udny.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (06/02/90)

In article <1990Jun1.165545.29822@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>1. My 8*56834*%^*%$^&#$ right shift key is dying, so forgive
>   capitalization errors. (Anyone know a good way to fix a classic mac
>   keyboard?)
>| _    /| | Robert Minich             |
>| \'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University |
>| =(___)= | minich@a.cs.okstate.edu   |
>|    U    | - Bill sez "Ackphtth"     |

One thing I've found to work is to take off the key cover (It should
just slide off) and to quirt some so DW/40 into the key.  This will
clean dirt deposits off the contacts.  Then just put the key cover back
on and the key should work again.  I've done this two or three times on
an old keyboard from an 128K machine and had no problems.  I haven't had
to try it on an extendended keyboard yet (and hopefully I won't ever
have to) so I don't know if it will work there.  I originally saw this
hint in an old MacUser I think (It was in the hint section of whatever
magazine it was).  If the problem wasn't dirty contacts I don't know
what to do.

Mark Irwin