[comp.sys.mac.misc] Compiling Moria using MPW 3.1

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (06/03/90)

 I was wondering if anybody got Moria to compile correctly using MPW 3.1.
I downloaded all 332 parts from uunet.uu.net and then uudecoded them correctly,
at least I think.  I'm just getting hung up on a couple of things.  First I
get an error when I compile misc2.  Then error is with player_saves with the
compiler saying that the expression is to compilcated.  No problem there, I
just inserted an intermediate step and it compiled fine. The next problem is
when I compile save.c I get an identifier not declared error with time_t at
the line with l = time((time_t *)0); and start_time = time((time_t *)0);.
Does anybody know how to fix this or has anybody compiled it on a Macintosh
and recognize my problem.  My configuration is a IIci with 8MB of RAM running
system 6.0.5 and various INIT's.  Also important to note is that I am just
beginning to learn MPW so I could easily be doing a so called 'rookie' mistake.

Thanks for your time,
Brian Moore
DCO Macintosh Consultant
ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu

jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) (06/04/90)

In article <2490@zipeecs.umich.edu> ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:

> I was wondering if anybody got Moria to compile correctly using MPW 3.1.
I got it compiled, but the first time it complained that it couldn't open some
file (I don't think it said which) and the last time I tried, it bombed.

>get an error when I compile misc2.  Then error is with player_saves with the
>compiler saying that the expression is to compilcated.  No problem there, I
>just inserted an intermediate step and it compiled fine. The next problem is
me too...

>when I compile save.c I get an identifier not declared error with time_t at
I added this to the beginning of save.c to get time defined:

#ifdef Pyramid
#include <sys/time.h>
#else
#include <time.h>
#endif

>the line with l = time((time_t *)0); and start_time = time((time_t *)0);.
Change the MAC part of this statement in save.c (approx line 75) to get time
declared in the right form...

--------------------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
#if !defined(ATARIST_MWC) && !defined(MAC) /* added mac def JDB19051990 */
long time();
#else
char *malloc();
#endif

>Does anybody know how to fix this or has anybody compiled it on a Macintosh
>and recognize my problem.  My configuration is a IIci with 8MB of RAM running
>system 6.0.5 and various INIT's.  Also important to note is that I am just
>beginning to learn MPW so I could easily be doing a so called 'rookie' mistake.
Again, me too...

Hope that this helps, and if anyone else has (or fixes) the bombing problem
please let me know.
Jon Buller       jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us       ..!texbell!vector!jonb
FROM Fortune IMPORT Quote;             FROM Lawyers IMPORT Disclaimer;

wilson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (James E. Wilson) (06/05/90)

In article <1139@vector.Dallas.TX.US> jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) writes:
>In article <2490@zipeecs.umich.edu> ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:
>> I was wondering if anybody got Moria to compile correctly using MPW 3.1.

>I got it compiled, but the first time it complained that it couldn't open some
>file (I don't think it said which) and the last time I tried, it bombed.

Several people have successfully compiled it.  There is copy of the executable
in my moria archives on kukulcan.Berkeley.EDU.

I have already released version 5.2.1 which should fix all of these problems
with the Mac support.  I sent patch files to the comp.sources.games moderator
a few days ago, so they should turn up there soon.

The problem with it bombing and not finding files is most likely because of
problems with the MakeFile.  If a copy of Moria exists before you do a build,
then the commands that append the resource file and the help files will not
be executed.  The solution is to either execute them by hand, or else delete
Moria and rebuild.  This is documented, but not fixed, in umoria 5.2.1.

Jim Wilson			wilson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU
The US Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, and freedom of speech.
Offer void where prohibited by law.