[comp.sys.mac.misc] Looking for alternatives to Edit 2.1

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) (05/26/90)

From article <18148@well.sf.ca.us>, by knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll):

> The MPW shell editor is the best text editor there is!  I think it's available
> from APDA separately from all of the compilers.  It does everything you
> describe. (not cheap, though)

How about either Sigma Edit or McSink (both DAs).  McSink is known as
something else commercially, I can't remember.  McSink is in my opinion
much better than Edit 2.1 and since it's a DA it's very convenient.
Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/26/90)

In article <18148@well.sf.ca.us>, knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) writes:

> The MPW shell editor is the best text editor there is!  I think it's
available
> from APDA separately from all of the compilers.  It does everything you
> describe. (not cheap, though)
Of course, if you really like Edit, you could get the latest version (6.0, I
think - my copy's at home). As far as I know, the only surviving way of buying
it is to get Consulair's assembly language development system (CDS) - which
is a fair amount cheaper than MPW (about $90 from APDA, or MacWarehouse sells
the 68020/30 version for $115).

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

larry@slacvm (Larry Sherman) (06/05/90)

In article <1571@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu
(Jeffrey Lawrence Haferman) writes:
> How about either Sigma Edit or McSink (both DAs).  McSink is known as
> something else commercially, I can't remember.  McSink is in my opinion
> much better than Edit 2.1 and since it's a DA it's very convenient.

The commercial version is called VANTAGE, [Preferred Publishers]