[comp.sys.mac.misc] Highest quality desktop publishing scanning device on a Mac?

cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) (06/05/90)

ia4@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Imran Anwar) writes:

>Need the highest quality image scanner for use in a Mac based publication.

>Your inout regarding resolutions, quality, price and availability will be
>extremely valuable.

How is quality being defined?  Colour or monochrome?  Platten Size?
Flatbed?  35mm slide?  Transparancies?

In most cases, people look for the highest resolution scanner they can
find.  Then do scans at that resolution (which is a real waste... if you
are outputting at 300 dpi, your effective resolution with 16 levels of
grey is about 75 dpi.  And you will get banding.  More greys means lower
effective resolution -- 25 greys = 60 dpi, 256 greys (which is what most
scan) gives 18.75 dpi) for printing an image the same size.  The only
real need for high resolution scans (other than output to hires devices)
is image magnification.

+C

--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
Three Letter Company						603 883 2474