[comp.sys.mac.misc] 2 small problems

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (06/04/90)

Hi. A couple of friends here have been having problems, and I wonder
if anyone can help:

1. Person A has upgraded his IIci to 8Mb from 4Mb, and now when he
tries to shutdown, the machine does a restart instead of a shutdown.
Reinstalling the system seems not to fix this.

2. Person B has a portable, and when it goes to sleep, his Appletalk
connections are lost. Is there any utility for somehow reinstating
them at wakeup?

Thanks. Ralph

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun4.102620.19280@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk>
ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
>Hi. A couple of friends here have been having problems, and I wonder
>if anyone can help:
>
>1. Person A has upgraded his IIci to 8Mb from 4Mb, and now when he
>tries to shutdown, the machine does a restart instead of a shutdown.
>Reinstalling the system seems not to fix this.

	Okay, this probably isn't it, but check the back of the IIci to
see if the little round power switch (the one with the flathead screwdriver
slot in it, on the lower right) isn't pushed IN with the slot facing upward.
If so, it should be turned so the switch pops out (the slot horizontal).
I've seen that switch get turned several times and it results in the same
problem, which users immediately assume is a software problem -- or a virus!
Man, if there's one thing I have about viruses, it's the increased level of
paranoia... from when I got my Mac in 1984 to early 1988, I never even thought
about the possibility of a virus... that was something PC users dealt with. :-)

	Can't help with your second problem, sorry.

>Thanks. Ralph

						Derek L.
--
       BITnet: derek@albnyvms          | Macintosh Guru / Monty Python fanatic
  -| InterNet: derek@uacsc1.albany.edu |Consultant & Student Asst.@ SUNY-Albany

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun4.102620.19280@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk> ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
(IN PART)

>2. Person B has a portable, and when it goes to sleep, his Appletalk
>connections are lost. Is there any utility for somehow reinstating
>them at wakeup?

If they are using System software 6.0.4, they should get 6.0.5, which fixes that
bug in the appletalk driver, or the serial port init fix, available on
AppleLink.

If you have FTP access, you can get the 6.0.5 system software from
Apple at 130.43.2.2, login anonymous, password guest.

IF not, try to see if an apple dealer will allow you to dupe a copy of the
software...

Good luck!

-Barrey