[comp.sys.mac.misc] Internet to AppleLink?

mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) (06/05/90)

Is there an Internet to AppleLink gateway?  I don't have an AppleLink
account any more, but would like to be able to send email to people at
Apple who don't have Internet access.

Mark Turner
mark@hpdtc.hp.com

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (06/05/90)

In article <14380002@hpcilzb.HP.COM> mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) writes:
>Is there an Internet to AppleLink gateway?  I don't have an AppleLink
>account any more, but would like to be able to send email to people at
>Apple who don't have Internet access.
>
>Mark Turner
>mark@hpdtc.hp.com

Yes, there is.  You send to <Applelink@>@Applelink.Apple.com (i.e. to send
to me, you'd send to "DAWSON.M@Applelink.Apple.com").

Mark
--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) (06/05/90)

Thanks to Blayne, Juha, Maurice, Laurie, Les and everyone else for your
prompt answers to my question about the Internet-AppleLink gateway.  My
mailbox is overflowing!

In case anyone else was wondering, you can reach AppleLink users at:

    user@applelink.apple.com

Couldn't be much easier than that!

Mark Turner
mark@hpdtc.hp.com

rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) (06/06/90)

mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) writes:

>Is there an Internet to AppleLink gateway?  I don't have an AppleLink
>account any more, but would like to be able to send email to people at
>Apple who don't have Internet access.

>Mark Turner
>mark@hpdtc.hp.com

Try name@applelink.apple.com.  For instance, mine is BOARMAN@applelink.
apple.com.

Rick

--
* Rick Boarman   *   UUCP:      {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!rick
* Claris Corp.   *   Internet:  rick@claris.com

dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/06/90)

In article <11054@claris.com> rick@claris.com (Rick Boarman) writes:

>Try name@applelink.apple.com.  For instance, mine is BOARMAN@applelink.
>apple.com.

	All right, now I have a question.  Is Applelink compatible with
Internet mail system?  I don't think address is hard but is there some
characters dropped in transfer? (current [CB]news kills escape and
the Japanese and others are using patched [CB]news, for example).  I've
never mailed to outworld so I'm curious.  Is it RFC compliant?
	And another question.  How can one get Applelink?  Do you have
to be a developper?  What's the merit?  What's the catch?  Thanx in advance.

Dan Kogai (dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu)