[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac IIci ADB port

roskill@cs.umass.edu (06/09/90)

Well, I finally did it and dropped my IIci keyboard....it's
broken.  The ADB port on the right side cracked and fell off.
So I took it my locate service center...an easy repair right?

The technican informed me that Apple does not make the part and
to fix it I will have to buy a new keyboard.

FLAME ON
This is completely stupid.  They  can't repair a 50 cent part so
I have to buy a new $150-$200 keyboard.  It hardly seems
fair and makes me think that Apple is one of the stupidest
companies around.

FLAME OFF

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about this
to avoid buying a new keyboard?  I really can't afford a new
keyboard at the moment (yes...I know that there are ADB ports
on the back of the ci, but I want the keyboard fixed).

Any help appreciated...I'm desparate,

Damian

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|"Party For Your Right To Fight"  |  "Welcome to the Terrordome!"|
| Damian Roskill                  |                              |
| Specular International, Inc.    |    The Makers of Infini-D!   |
| Roskill@cs.umass.edu            |   Raytracing for the Mac II  |
| My opinions are my own.....     |       "Catch some rays!"     |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (06/12/90)

In article <15349@dime.cs.umass.edu> roskill@cs.umass.edu writes:

>FLAME ON
>This is completely stupid.  They  can't repair a 50 cent part so
>I have to buy a new $150-$200 keyboard.  It hardly seems
>fair and makes me think that Apple is one of the stupidest
>companies around.
>FLAME OFF

	You might as well Flame any number of companies, most do not
	or will not sell individual components for repair of their
	products. Repair is a big business, and as such most companies
	set levels of how far they will attempt to repair or replace
	certain items. Usually its never to a component level. You will
	in most cases replace the damaged item, in your case, the keyboard.
	Now if you can find replacement parts yourself and install them
	yourself, your in good shape. Otherwise your going to be springing
	for a new keyboard.. Apple is not the only company that does this,
	there are probably hundreds if not thousands...
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.