[comp.sys.mac.misc] The dreaded "Folder from Hell" problem revisited

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (06/05/90)

Drat!  I have just inherited the dreaded "Folder from Hell" problem.  The
other night, the Hard disk was working just fine when I got a "directory
error".  I stopped what I was doing and checked the disk with Disk First
Aid.  Sure enough, when checking the "Catalog Btree", Disk First Aid gave
up, with "Unable to verify status of disk".  Sum Quick Fix said there was
nothing wrong with the disk after checking the directory.  I have two folders
with this problem, one that can not be trashed, and the other can't be
opened or trashed.  After checking out the disk, it not only appears that
some of my btree entries don't really point to files, they also don't point
to each other correctly.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the
directory structure to fix the tree with just a sector editor.  Is there any
information available to tell me what the structure is?  Has anyone out there
done this before?

I would like to try to fix up the disk.  If I screw it up and have to reformat
and restore from floppy, that's OK, but if I'm going to have to do that, I'd
like to take a crack at fixing it up first.  In addition to information about
the structure and format of the disk, are there any other utilities, PD or
commercial or otherwise that would allow me to look at the Btrees in a
symbolic or meaningful manner and restore the structure?

Any information will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!secola!oiscola!dbarnhar

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (06/11/90)

> Drat!  I have just inherited the dreaded "Folder from Hell" problem...
>
> I would like to try to fix up the disk.  If I screw it up and have to reformat
> and restore from floppy, that's OK, but if I'm going to have to do that, I'd
> like to take a crack at fixing it up first.  In addition to information about
> the structure and format of the disk, are there any other utilities, PD or
> commercial or otherwise that would allow me to look at the Btrees in a
> symbolic or meaningful manner and restore the structure?
>
> Dave Barnhart
> NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
> 3245 Platt Springs Rd.
> West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!secola!oiscola!dbarnhar

Well, I don't know specifically, but someone just told me that the new Norton
Utilities Disk Doctor handles the Folder from Hell with superb aplomb...

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (06/13/90)

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>> Drat!  I have just inherited the dreaded "Folder from Hell" problem...
>>
>> I would like to try to fix up the disk.  If I screw it up and have to reformat
>> and restore from floppy, that's OK, but if I'm going to have to do that, I'd
>> like to take a crack at fixing it up first.  In addition to information about
>> the structure and format of the disk, are there any other utilities, PD or
>> commercial or otherwise that would allow me to look at the Btrees in a
>> symbolic or meaningful manner and restore the structure?

If you can't fix this, and still need data retrieved, call me.  (I tried
to reply, but our fidonet connection is weak...)

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others