[comp.sys.mac.misc] 6.0.5 & Gatekeeper on the Fx'es ??

eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (06/12/90)

Has anyone experienced any "unexpected quits" when try to print something out
under System 6.0.5 on the Fx'es while Gatekeeper is active ?  I've Gatekeeper
1.1.1.  And I've multifinder active.  It is ok if I uninstall Gatekeeper
however.  It seems that somehow it is interrupted when the printing driver
attempts to access the hard drive.  I was trying to print from Allegro
Common-Lisp -- just simple printing, nothing fancy.  I've even turned off
PrintMonitor but of no help.

On plain Mac-2's, Gatekeeper simply would hang the system under 6.0.5 in the
same situation.  Uninstalling Gatekeeper helps somewhat but I still got the
occasional system freeze or if I'm lucky, just get intermittent unexpected
quits.  Somebody told me that 6.0.5 is not really for the plain Mac-2's [in
fact, they told me that 6.0.5 will introduce new bugs for the plain Mac-2's
and recommend me to downgrade to 6.0.3 instead] -- is there any truth to all
this ?  I don't see this intermittent behavior on the Fx'es however (i.e. so
long as I keep Gatekeeper out, I'm ok there).  Strange.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

--

Eric Ho
Princeton University

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (06/14/90)

In article <EHO.90Jun12012820@word.Princeton.EDU>
eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) writes:
> Somebody told me that 6.0.5 is not really for the plain Mac-2's [in
> fact, they told me that 6.0.5 will introduce new bugs for the plain
Mac-2's
> and recommend me to downgrade to 6.0.3 instead] -- is there any truth to
all
> this ?

None whatsoever.  In fact, System 6.0.5 is the best System Software
release to use on everything from the Macintosh Plus up to the IIfx.

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.