[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIcx slowdown

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (05/30/90)

[Lately, I've noticed that screen redraws on my IIcx are getting very
[slow.  If I have 2 or 3 windows open and the screen redraws, it
[sometimes takes 3 or 4 seconds for the text to fill in the windows.  Is
[this related to a slow hard disk or may I have other problems?  I have
[checked for virii with Disinfectant 1.8 and I'm clean.

Sounds to me like the old WDEF virus.  I don't know if Disinfectant
looks for it, but the sure way to get rid of it is to delete your
desktop and restart.  You will lose all of your 'Get Info' notes, but
most people don't use it anyways.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/30/90)

In article <IaMixMm00Uh787fX43@andrew.cmu.edu>, ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Leonard John Schultz) writes:
> [Lately, I've noticed that screen redraws on my IIcx are getting very
> [slow.  If I have 2 or 3 windows open and the screen redraws, it

> Sounds to me like the old WDEF virus.  I don't know if Disinfectant
> looks for it, but the sure way to get rid of it is to delete your

Disinfectant has looked for (and been able to delete) WDEF from release
1.6 (1.5 ? Use 1.8, it's the newest anyway)

The problem is; neither it nor any other virus check program can look
for virii in the Desktop file when Finder already has it opened. (That
is, under MultiFinder)

Turn of MF, and try again.

	Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se

juh@cs.hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May30.113408.29990@kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon
W{tte) writes:
+------------------------
!    The problem is; neither it [Disinfectant] nor any other virus check
!    program can look for virii in the Desktop file when Finder already
!    has it opened. (That is, under MultiFinder)
+........................

Can't they even #check# (scan) busy files? Then Disinfectant and
others should be made to tell the user which files were busy (and
could not be checked)!

	   / (.__o		..
	  /_/ __/	Juha Hyvonen
	! /  !
	!/ ) !		juh@cs.hut.fi
	 ------

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/13/90)

Recently, I have noticed a strange occurence.  When I double-click on
the system folder on my IIcx, it takes about 5-8 seconds for the
window to fill.  Other folders with an equal number of files inside
seem to open normally.  Is something about to break?

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (06/14/90)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>Recently, I have noticed a strange occurence.  When I double-click on
>the system folder on my IIcx, it takes about 5-8 seconds for the
>window to fill.  Other folders with an equal number of files inside
>seem to open normally.  Is something about to break?

If you have a lot of "generic documents" (like INITs), the delay is due to the
Finder attempting to find the creator of the document.  If you are using
AppleShare or TOPS, you'll also see the Finder going out to the network
volumes.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (06/14/90)

If you open a folder with a moderate amount of files and you are not
viewing it by Name or Icon then it can take a long time to open. It
seems to resort the directory when you open it and put it back to by
name when you close it.

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          Bitnet:   psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo       Internet: psych@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/14/90)

In article <41905@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>
>>Recently, I have noticed a strange occurence.  When I double-click on
>>the system folder on my IIcx, it takes about 5-8 seconds for the
>>window to fill.  Other folders with an equal number of files inside
>>seem to open normally.  Is something about to break?
>
>If you have a lot of "generic documents" (like INITs), the delay is due to the
>Finder attempting to find the creator of the document.  If you are using
>AppleShare or TOPS, you'll also see the Finder going out to the network
>volumes.

I suspect my problem is the latter.  I updated my system folder from
our Appleshare server at work.  Is there any way to tell the finder
not to poll the network in this fashion?

Chris