[comp.sys.mac.misc] Need to delete certain files...

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (06/15/90)

Ooohhh, I know this is a good one.  I am in a lab that distributes
system disks for people to boot up our Mac SE's (running system 6.0.2,
with a few da's and inits as well).  The problem is...  some
applications you run will place a temp file in the system folder.
After you run enough of these applications, your system disk becomes
full and causes all sorts of nasties.  Is there a way to delete the
temp files and misc. trash in a mindless way without reformating or
checking the disks each time?

Also, I saw a program on an IB.., uh, sorry.  Anyway, this program
keeps track of the time (amazing) and then at the start of each day,
erases all the stuff the students leave on the hard drive leaving only
the information that we specifically mark.  Is there an
application/Da/Init like that out in the world somewhere for the
Macintosh?

If any of you out there know of an Application or a trick up your
sleeve, I'd love to hear about it.  Please email me any information
you think would be helpful.

Thanks greatly!

Chip

--
!===========================================================================!
! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !

   From: hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
   Date: 14 Jun 90 21:59:19 GMT
   Sender: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU

   Ooohhh, I know this is a good one.  I am in a lab that distributes
   system disks for people to boot up our Mac SE's (running system 6.0.2,
   with a few da's and inits as well).  The problem is...  some
   applications you run will place a temp file in the system folder.
   After you run enough of these applications, your system disk becomes
   full and causes all sorts of nasties.  Is there a way to delete the
   temp files and misc. trash in a mindless way without reformating or
   checking the disks each time?

   etc, etc,....

I wanted to summarize and say thanks to all those that responded.  The
response I got was almost overwhelming with plenty of help.  The most
consistent response I got was try Tempermant-2 at
sumex-aim/info-mac/cdev.  I have retrieved it and will try it out.
I also received a beta that I'll be testing out as well.  Thanks again
for the fast response.  Much appreciated!!

Chip

--