[comp.sys.mac.misc] e-mail from Applelink to interNet

schraag@fwi.uva.nl (Joost Schraag (I81)) (06/27/90)

In article <1086@carol.fwi.uva.nl> i (Joost Schraag (I81)) wrote:
>I have a friend with an AppleLink e-mail adress.
>The syntax to reach him from InterNet is <user-id>@applelink.apple.com
>
>What is the syntax for the other direction?
>Or, is there a gateway FROM AppleLink TO InterNet.

Amongst others, Larry Rosenstein <lsr@apple.com> answered:

"[...]
It is best to send him a message.  The gateway adds directions to the
AppleLink message explaining how to reply.  The general syntax is

<internet address>@INTERNET#

 [ closing # is essential, jjs]
The problem is that AppleLink has a limit on address size (31 characters or
so), and if the internet address is long the limit will be exceeded.  In
that case the gateway creates an abbreviation, which it maintains.  The only
way to can find out the abbreviation is to send a message.
[...]"

i will try this, and thank him and others who wrote me.

joost

 Joost Schraag              X
 University of Amsterdam    X  e-mail: schraag@fwi.uva.nl
 The Netherlands            X      or: schraag%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl