[comp.sys.mac.misc] More Tech Support Threads...

amherasimchu@amherst.bitnet (06/28/90)

In my question regarding tech support, I've been hearing half good/hald bad
from folks who responded to me about it.  Here's what I've heard:

The Pros:
1)Not paying for someone else's support.  Or paying exhorbitant (thanks. :) )
prices for support for one year, or six moths or whatever.
2)Good only if the customer is not charged while put on hold.
3)Good as long as the product isn't loaded with bugs.

The Cons:
1)Some companies lock out 900 numbers so their employees can't call using them.
2)Being associated with those rip-off Call-A-Date 900 numbers.
3)Being put on hold and being charged for it.

The Common Threads in Postings:
1)Good products don't need that much support.
2)Customers pretty much see toll free numbers as right.
3)Don't employ stupid tech people.

The comments I have received have been helpful, so I propose another thread:

With the package, on the registration card, there are two options:
1)Yes.  I would like to receive (6,9 months/1 Year) worth of tech support.
Here is my check enclosed for $X.

Then give these users a toll-free 800 number to call.  option two would say

2)No, I don't want tech support.  But here is my reg. number.  I will call
the 900 number whenever I need it.

Then give these users the 900 number to call for themselves.

In a perfect world, tech support would be completely free.  But until software
sells like McDonalds fries, systems will have to be tried, shot down, and
tried a different way later.

I appreciate any more comments on the subject.

________________________
Andrei Herasimchuk			Disclaimer:
Marketing Director			These are my opinions.  Please
Specular Int'l				don't repeat them to my boss
					'cause he hears them everyday already!
bitnet: amherasimchu@amherst
snail: P.O. Box 888, Amherst, MA  01004-0888
	413.256.3166

francis@ichthyosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (06/29/90)

In article <9668.268a3610@amherst.bitnet> amherasimchu@amherst.bitnet writes:
>In a perfect world, tech support would be completely free.  But until software
>sells like McDonalds fries, systems will have to be tried, shot down, and
>tried a different way later.

I can almost see this, at one of our local dealers (Micro Center)

"Here's your SE/30, with Think C 4.0 and WriteNow 2.2.  WOuld you like
QuicKeys with that?"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.  If you don't get it, you either haven't
been to a McDonald's, or their clerks don't act like ours....

-=-
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (07/01/90)

> In article <9668.268a3610@amherst.bitnet> amherasimchu@amherst.bitnet writes:
> >In a perfect world, tech support would be completely free.  But until
> software >sells like McDonalds fries, systems will have to be tried, shot
> down, and >tried a different way later.

> I can almost see this, at one of our local dealers (Micro Center)
>
> "Here's your SE/30, with Think C 4.0 and WriteNow 2.2.  WOuld you like
> QuicKeys with that?"

You mean, you found a Micro Center mattress salesperson who actually knew what
QuicKeys was?

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix