[comp.sys.mac.misc] Scoop on New Macs and Printers.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/26/90)

/* Written  2:28 pm  Jun 23, 1990 by mmm@cup.portal.com in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.arch */
/* ---------- "World's Cheapest Unix Engine" ---------- */
A while back, I referred to pending announcements of prices cuts on
Motorola 68K-family chips.  The info has now been published, so I feel
free to post it here:

68020  -- $47
68030  -- $95
68881  -- $38
68882  -- $44

All prices are in 1000-unit quantity at 16 MHz.  These prices only apply
to the new packaging options, ceramic quad flat-packs for the CPU's and
PLCC's for the FPU's.
/* */

Too bad Apple couldn't see its way clear to subtitute that $47 68020
for a (I'm guessing here) $2 68000.

Also, many useful programs (mathematica, most greyscale programs)
already choke on only 4 megabytes of RAM.  Apple is crippling any new
machine by restricting it to 4 megabytes.  Mathematica is becoming a
very widespread math teaching tool.  And I suspect system 8.0 will
take at least 8 megabytes!

wichers@husc9.harvard.edu (John Wichers) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun26.185628.18480@cbnews.att.com> jbr0@cbnews.att.com (joseph.a.brownlee) writes:
>In article <C7SLP4D@xavier.swarthmore.edu> jrd90@campus.swarthmore.edu (James
>Deane) writes:
>>                  ... They say it is upgradable to 17 Meg - I'm not sure how
>>they do this [...]

>Same as now with the IIcx -- 4 1MB SIMMs + 4 256K SIMMs = 17MB

Hey, that's a neat trick. Hmmm, the other twelve megs must be virtual, huh?

Just a thought.

--jjw

__
Hail to the sungod.   || John Wichers || wichers@husc4.harvard.edu
He sure is a fun god. || 121 Museum St #2, Somerville Ma. 02143
Ra! Ra! Ra!           || Anarchy - It's not a law, it's just a good idea.
|| Jesus saves sinners ... and redeems them for valuable cash prizes!!! ||

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (06/27/90)

Anybody any idea why Apple are bringing out their new low budget machines
based on the 68020, rather than the 68030? Are they going to put in the
socket for the 68851 MMU or are they going to try to cripple the machines
and omit them (same goes for the 68881/2 FPU).

Are they going to try to memory cripple them too?

Kevin Purcell ................................... kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk
\ Surface Science      \ Stepwise Refinement n.  A sequence of kludges K,
 \ Liverpool University \ neither distinct or finite, applied to a program P
  \ Liverpool L69 3BX    \ aimed at transforming it into the target program Q.

marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (06/29/90)

In article <71100017@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Also, many useful programs (mathematica, most greyscale programs)
> already choke on only 4 megabytes of RAM.  Apple is crippling any new
> machine by restricting it to 4 megabytes.  Mathematica is becoming a
> very widespread math teaching tool.  And I suspect system 8.0 will
> take at least 8 megabytes!

Take a look at Adobe PhotoShop 1.0.  It's amazing what a well written
program can do in only *two* megabytes (I'm not flaming any of the
other programs mentioned, just pointing out that you greyscale/color
doesn't necessarily mean memory hog).

And if System 8.0 requires 8 megs I'm gonna have somebody's head
on a platter.  :)

| Dave Walker, Marmoset Pty. Ltd.                                        |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |
| Since I *am* Marmoset Pty. Ltd., they usually agree with what I say... |

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (06/29/90)

In article <90178.172523KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>, KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK
writes:
> Anybody any idea why Apple are bringing out their new low budget machines
> based on the 68020, rather than the 68030?

Well, seeing as they're supposed to be as cheap as possible, my first
guess would simply be cost.  A 68020 + socket is loads cheaper than a
68030...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

bert@snuffleupagus.csd.scarolina.edu (Bert Still) (07/04/90)

:
:Well, seeing as they're supposed to be as cheap as possible, my first
:guess would simply be cost.  A 68020 + socket is loads cheaper than a
:68030...

    They might also be staying away from putting even more commitment
into the 68030, given that wonderful little court fight between Motorola
and Hitachi(?)...  After all, no one has ordered Motorola to cease
producing the MC68020. ;-)

(I really ought to put in a plug for OzTeX sometime.  The developers did
a very nice job of porting TeX, a technical typesetting program, to the
Macintosh, and it sure has been nice to work on a dissertation at home
for a change... ;-)

					->bert

--

                      __                     bert@cs.scarolina.edu   OR
 \----\            __/  |                  bert@vision1.ece.scarolina.edu
 \----//  \ _/-----------------___^/  \         Univ of South Carolina
      | () |:|#4|P O R S C H E | _| () |\__     Parallel Supercomputer
             Porsche: Schonheit ist ihre eigene Belohnung.