[comp.sys.mac.misc] I want to connect a Star printer to a Mac

canders@plains.NoDak.edu (Carlin Anderson) (07/09/90)

Hello

	I have a Star Micronics NX-1000 printer currently connected to my
Zenith PC.  I would like to connect this printer to a Mac SE.  Is this
possible?  Thanks.

--------

Carlin Anderson				North Dakota State University
					Fargo, ND  58105
UUCP:		...!uunet!plains!canders
BITNET:		canders@plains.bitnet
INTERNET:	canders@plains.NoDak.edu       nu111783@vm1.NoDak.edu

jmeyer@uniol.UUCP (Jochen Meyer) (07/10/90)

canders@plains.NoDak.edu (Carlin Anderson) writes:

>	I have a Star Micronics NX-1000 printer currently connected to my
>Zenith PC.  I would like to connect this printer to a Mac SE.  Is this
>possible?  Thanks.

I am using a Star NL-10 printer with a Centronics Interface with my Mac Plus.
I'm not sure whether this will help you, but I've connected it in the following
way: I plugged an interface converter - serial to parallel - between the Mac
and the printer. Obviously I also need a printer driver - I am using Epstart
for the Epson FX printers.

I am quite satisfied with this solution. Although it's not compatible to all
graphic-printing programs, it works ok with most word processors including
McWrite II and MS Word.

Unfortunately some of my friends have quite some difficulty in connecting
their on-Apple-printers to their Macs.
One of him also owns a Star NL-10, but he uses a slightly different interface
converter which seems not to work quite as good as mine does. Two others wanted
to connect a Nec P6 or Nec P2200 with serial interface to their Macs, but they
didn't get them to work properly, although they use the same software.

So, you'll probably need some patience and a soldering tool if you want to use
this solution too.

Jochen Meyer
Tel. 0441 / 81994 (voice)
inHouse: faustus@aragorn