[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why can't I reach apple.com?

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (07/10/90)

I've been trying.  cs.rochester.edu is an internet site on NYSERNET, the
New York State regional net.  I can generally reach sumex.stanford.edu and
acns.nwu.edu, as well as other popular ftp sites, but for some reason
my connection to apple.com never gets through.  The (ostensible) reasons
are either "Cannot reach apple.com" or "Connection timed out".

What gives?

Mark

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (07/10/90)

In <1990Jul10.032438.6055@cs.rochester.edu> fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) writes:

>I've been trying.  cs.rochester.edu is an internet site on NYSERNET, the
>New York State regional net.  I can generally reach sumex.stanford.edu and
>acns.nwu.edu, as well as other popular ftp sites, but for some reason
>my connection to apple.com never gets through.  The (ostensible) reasons
>are either "Cannot reach apple.com" or "Connection timed out".

I haven't been able to reach apple.com all day. Chances are it's just a
router problem somewhere, which will get fixed before this message
propagates.

Hmmm. I just was able to ping 130.43.2.1 successfully, but not
130.43.2.2 (apple.com), so it might not be a network problem, but
a host problem.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
There is always a party going on somewhere.  		- David Byrne

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul10.054039.13912@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> aem@Mthvax.CS.Miami.Edu writes:
>In <1990Jul10.032438.6055@cs.rochester.edu> fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) writes:
>
>>I've been trying.  cs.rochester.edu is an internet site on NYSERNET, the
>>New York State regional net.  I can generally reach sumex.stanford.edu and
>>acns.nwu.edu, as well as other popular ftp sites, but for some reason
>>my connection to apple.com never gets through.  The (ostensible) reasons
>>are either "Cannot reach apple.com" or "Connection timed out".
>
>I haven't been able to reach apple.com all day. Chances are it's just a
>router problem somewhere, which will get fixed before this message
>propagates.
>
>Hmmm. I just was able to ping 130.43.2.1 successfully, but not
>130.43.2.2 (apple.com), so it might not be a network problem, but
>a host problem.

Pingo...er, I mean, Bingo. It was a host problem. PG&E decided that we
were working to hard over here, and decided to turn off the power in
several buildings. Rather abruptly, too. Everything should be back, now.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions