[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help!, my analog board is shot

baz@cbnewsk.att.com (Bruce Zenel) (07/12/90)

   I need some hardware help.  I turned on my Mac Plus today and all it did
was click.  No beep, no screen, it just repeatedly clicks.
   I have a feeling that it is the flyback transformer, which I've read about
in the past.
   Is there any way to replace this myself?  Is there a replacement
transformer that I can buy somewhere?  I have no problem with desoldering
a piece and putting in a new one.  Every Mac shop I have talked to today wants
to replace the whole analog board, which is a real waste.
   Any help would be appreciated.
                                        Bruce Zenel
                                        Uucp: att!lzsc!baz
                                        Internet: baz@lzsc.ATT.COM
--
                                        Bruce Zenel
                                        AT&T Bell Labs

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (07/12/90)

	analog board repair is more than just swapping the flyback (sometimes
	it is even less :-);  sometimes it is only cold solder, sometimes it
	requires replacing a couple of caps, too ...

	here is my official recommendation again:

	1) check for cold soldering on the connector for the cable
	   to the yolk for the 'smoking' (and smelling) cap

	3) if you can see sparks at the flyback, you know that's not right ...

	4) if you are endangering your life by doing 1 to 3, you
	   are probably not getting to 4 ...

	5) call a place that does repair mail-order, my recommendation
	   (because he is local) is Rick Allphin at Omnitek,
		  phone (512) 345-4339

	   expect to pay between $50 and $80.

   	I never heard of a repaired board break down again ...

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (07/12/90)

>   I need some hardware help.  I turned on my Mac Plus today and all it did
>was click.  No beep, no screen, it just repeatedly clicks.
>   I have a feeling that it is the flyback transformer, which I've read about
>in the past.

Probably the wrong conclusion. The flyback transformer would prevent the display
from lighting up (or it would be a very narrow vertical line). It would NOT
prevent the processor from operating normally, and thus it would NOT prevent the
bell from dinging.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

gordon@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul11.194216.1939@cbnewsk.att.com> baz@cbnewsk.att.com (Bruce Zenel) writes:
>   I need some hardware help.  I turned on my Mac Plus today and all it did
>was click.  No beep, no screen, it just repeatedly clicks.
>   I have a feeling that it is the flyback transformer, which I've read about
>in the past.
>   Is there any way to replace this myself?  Is there a replacement
>transformer that I can buy somewhere?  I have no problem with desoldering
>a piece and putting in a new one.  Every Mac shop I have talked to today wants
>to replace the whole analog board, which is a real waste.
>   Any help would be appreciated.

It probably isn't the flyback.  Flybacks don't fail nearly as often as
their reputation would suggest, and when they do, they usually don't
cause the symptom you describe.  The ticking you're hearing is the power
supply resetting itself due to incorrect loading.  The most common fail-
ures that leads to this symptom are the GI854 diodes at board locations
CR1 and CR5; they tend to short themselves out, and overload the power
supply.  You can test for this by pulling the diodes and looking at them
with ohmmeters (be sure to remember which way around CR1 goes).

You can get repair parts (diodes, flybacks, and pretty much anything else
you'll find in a Mac) mail order from Soft Solutions:

	Soft Solutions
	907 River Road, Suite #98
	Eugene, OR 97404
	(503) 461-1136

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul11.194216.1939@cbnewsk.att.com> baz@cbnewsk.att.com (Bruce Zenel) writes:

>   I need some hardware help.  I turned on my Mac Plus today and all it did
>was click.  No beep, no screen, it just repeatedly clicks.
>   I have a feeling that it is the flyback transformer, which I've read about
>in the past.
>   Is there any way to replace this myself?  Is there a replacement
>transformer that I can buy somewhere?

This clicking is from the speaker and might not be related to the flyback
transformer.

The Mac Plus has some ciciutry in the power supply to check if the power
is at an acceptable level to run the beastie.  Anything out of this range
and the machine will click and not power up.  This is a diagnostic.

To fix/adjust this:

Open up your case, set the mac on something insulated, plug it in and turn it
on.  It will start clicking.  Look at the side of the power supply board
with paper on it.  There should be a label that says "Voltage Adjust" or
something similar that is right by a trim pot.  Get out a screw driver and
turn this until the machine boots (you might want to mark its original
position first).

I had a similar problem when 2 meg was put into my old plus.  The power supply
just couldn't cope because of how much current the memory was drawing (the
machine was being upgraded from a 512K to a plus at the time).  The service
being did exactly the steps above with the exception that he also connected
a fluke volt meter first to measure what the voltage was first  which
was about 4.2 volts in my case -way too low.

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"A blow on the head is... ...worth two in the bush." -Basil Fawlty

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (07/13/90)

In article <4985@milton.u.washington.edu>, gordon@milton (Gordon Davisson) writes:
>You can get repair parts (diodes, flybacks, and pretty much anything else
>you'll find in a Mac) mail order from Soft Solutions:
>
>	Soft Solutions
>	907 River Road, Suite #98
>	Eugene, OR 97404
>	(503) 461-1136

I recently dealt with Soft Solutions and highly recommend them.  Another
item that they carry is "Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets," by Larry
Pina, which goes into lots of detail regarding diagnosing and repairing Mac
analog boards.  It is excellent, and should be considered to be the "FM"
that you are referred to when you have MacPlus/SE hardware problems.

Sam

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (07/13/90)

>  There should be a label that says "Voltage Adjust" or
> something similar that is right by a trim pot.  Get out a screw driver and
> turn this until the machine boots (you might want to mark its original
> position first).

	do NOT use a (metall-)screw-driver!

	Radio-Shock sells a color-TV plastic tools set for $3 ($2 on sale)
	or you can use a home-made gizzmo with a flat end made of plastic
	or wood (I've used cherry sticks, those wooded sticks girls use
	to do their nails ...:-)

	you also should not do this without a voltmeter attached somewhere
	(the goal is to adjust the 5-volt-level as exact as possible;
	ignore the 12-volt level completely) like a DB-9 port, pins
	2, which has 5v and 1 or 3, which is ground (I know this is not
	the best place to get exact readings, but, hey, I'd like my
	neophyte net-friends to be around a while longer ... :-)

	pin 6 and 7 of the cable linking the analog with the motherboard
	also have 5 volts and ground .... (there.  kill yourself or your
	motherboard  :-)