[comp.sys.mac.misc] naming Apple

man@eilat.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (07/10/90)

In article <22871@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, schatz@cs.arizona.edu (Bruce
Schatz) writes:
|>One thing I've always wondered about is the genesis of the company name for
|>Apple Computer.  The books I've read about the computer all say that Steven
|>Jobs had fond memories of working in an orchard one summer and thought that
|>Apple would be a friendly sounding name.... Anyone know the "true" story?

The story I heard (which is no more guaranteed to be the true one) is
that Steven Jobs thought that microcomputers should be so reliable that
you should be able to unpack them from the box, plug them in, and be off
and running, just as you would with a toaster or any other APPLiance.
Recall that those were the days of S-100 buses and buying a whole bunch
of cards and hoping that they would be compatible with one another on
the bus.   So "Apple" was a shortened version of "appliance".

Don't know if it's true.

	--Mark

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (07/12/90)

In article <44704@brunix.UUCP>, man@eilat.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
> In article <22871@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, schatz@cs.arizona.edu (Bruce
> Schatz) writes:
> |>One thing I've always wondered about is the genesis of the company name for
> |>Apple Computer.  The books I've read about the computer all say that Steven
> |>Jobs had fond memories of working in an orchard one summer and thought that
> |>Apple would be a friendly sounding name.... Anyone know the "true" story?
>
> The story I heard (which is no more guaranteed to be the true one) is
> that Steven Jobs thought that microcomputers should be so reliable that
> you should be able to unpack them from the box, plug them in, and be off
> and running, just as you would with a toaster or any other APPLiance.
> Recall that those were the days of S-100 buses and buying a whole bunch
> of cards and hoping that they would be compatible with one another on
> the bus.   So "Apple" was a shortened version of "appliance".

Jobs' views on the "applianceness" of personal computers developed somewhat
after the company name was chosen.  Probably well into the original development
of the first Mac concepts by Jef Raskin's team.  He wasn't a lonely voice
crying in the wilderness, either, there being a number of proposals for
Apple//-family machines that could be expanded without opening the CPU at all,
and that meant no DB-<mumble> connectors, either, except for those required
by printers.

The first guess is probably closer to what happened.  There were stories
floating around Apple for a while that Jobs was, for a while, a fruitarian
in his diet and influenced from that angle.

------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.
------------

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (07/12/90)

|One thing I've always wondered about is the genesis of the company name for
|Apple Computer.  The books I've read about the computer all say that Steven
|Jobs had fond memories of working in an orchard one summer and thought that
|Apple would be a friendly sounding name.... Anyone know the "true" story?

This sounds like a corruption of the story I heard from the Woz one
time.  This story may not be any truer, but it was years ago and he
didn't really have any reason to make this up.

Anyways, the real answer is they couldn't think of a name.  In fact
the two Steves were at the courthouse to file the incorporation papers
and still didn't have a name.  Jobs was eating an apple (at the time
he was a "fruitarian", i.e. most of his diet was fruit.  He may still
be), so they chose Apple, figuring they could choose a real name later.
When it came time to choose a name, they thought about it, and realized
that Apple would be early in the phone book, and that apples are
"friendly" and would make a nice contrast with what was then (and
maybe still is :-)) a very scary word, computer.  Thus Apple remained
Apple Computer, Inc.

--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (07/12/90)

	I dunno if this story is true or not but it's kinda interesting.
The Apple Logo (so I am told) is meant to represent the apple that Alan
Turing used to commit suicide with. Hence the bite out of the side. Has
anyone else heard this?
	Tony

p.s. If you don't know who Alan Turing is you shouldn't be using a
computer :-)p
--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

		If a man among you has no sin upon his hand
	    Let him throw a stone at me for playing in the band.

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (07/13/90)

>In article <22871@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, schatz@cs.arizona.edu (Bruce
>Schatz) writes:
>|>One thing I've always wondered about is the genesis of the company name for
>|>Apple Computer.  The books I've read about the computer all say that Steven
>|>Jobs had fond memories of working in an orchard one summer and thought that
>|>Apple would be a friendly sounding name.... Anyone know the "true" story?

Well, as Steve Wozniak remembered it, as they were forming their new
business to market this computer that they built, they we in the process of
filling out paperwork to get their license and so on. Amoung many names
that were trying to come up with at CRUNCH time, they picked Apple. One of
the reasons was that 'Apple' will preceeded 'Atari' in the phone book.

   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu         SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET:  322/575.1                         508.832.7725  (1200/2400)