[comp.sys.mac.misc] Chooser name question

o4ry@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/12/90)

Is it possible to prevent someone from  changing the Chooser Name?  Thanks.

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (07/12/90)

In article <4562.269b6b80@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, o4ry@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
writes:
> Is it possible to prevent someone from  changing the Chooser Name?  Thanks.

Only if you prevent people from booting up their own system disks.  With
that caveat, you can edit the Chooser's DITL resource with ResEdit and
change the type of the name field from "Edit Text" to "Static Text".
Voila: it's read-only.

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
Programmer With Attitude

eggplant@walt.cc.utexas.edu (johan van Zanten) (07/13/90)

In article <269BF792.4840@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>Only if you prevent people from booting up their own system disks.  With
>that caveat, you can edit the Chooser's DITL resource with ResEdit and
>change the type of the name field from "Edit Text" to "Static Text".
>Voila: it's read-only.
>
>--
>Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
>Programmer With Attitude
>InterCon Systems Corporation

	This does not work.  Someone suggested it about 3 or 4 months ago
and i tried it with 6.0.4 and it didn't work then, either. (I'm using 6.0.5)
	If i use ResEdit to edit ITEM #13 of DITL resource -15904 of the
 "System" file, i can change the ITEM from "editable" to "static" text, but the
Chooser Name can still be changed, although there is no box around the name
in the altered window.  When i did this before, i noticed that the Chooser
that had been modified would sometimes be reduced in size to about 1 cm square.
In otherwords, only a teeny little part of the top of the window would be
displayed.
	If i'm missing something, here, someone please tell me.

		johan
	Johan van Zanten 	"Don't you threaten me with a dead fish."
(eggplant@walt.cc.utexas.edu)	(from the movie "Withnail and I")

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (07/13/90)

In article <269BF792.4840@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <4562.269b6b80@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, o4ry@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
>writes:
>> Is it possible to prevent someone from  changing the Chooser Name?  Thanks.
>
>Only if you prevent people from booting up their own system disks.  With
>that caveat, you can edit the Chooser's DITL resource with ResEdit and
>change the type of the name field from "Edit Text" to "Static Text".
>Voila: it's read-only.

I tried this.  It doesn't work.  If you change the field to Static Text, the
system will no longer give you an I-beam over it, but you can still type over
the contents.  When you open a Chooser that has been so altered, the field
is hilighted to begin with.  Anything you type will replace the contents.

I've had better luck using ResEdit to mark the STR resource where the name
is actually stored as "protected."  That way users can type whatever they want
in the field, but the System copy won't be updated.

<chaz>

--
About pyjamas and general clothing a habbit | Chaz Larson
of mine: are a variance as if mood simply a | clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu

volaski@contra.tmc.edu (Maurice Volaski) (07/13/90)

In article <33900@ut-emx.UUCP> eggplant@walt.cc.utexas.edu (johan van Zanten) writes:
>In article <269BF792.4840@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>>that caveat, you can edit the Chooser's DITL resource with ResEdit and
>>change the type of the name field from "Edit Text" to "Static Text".
>>Voila: it's read-only.
>
>	This does not work.  Someone suggested it about 3 or 4 months ago
>	If i'm missing something, here, someone please tell me.

No, your're not missing anything. I had to write a program to do it. This
program, ChooserUser, is on its way to comp.binaries.mac and to info-mac.

Maurice Volaski

tj@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (07/14/90)

In article <269BF792.4840@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <4562.269b6b80@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, o4ry@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
>writes:
>> Is it possible to prevent someone from  changing the Chooser Name?  Thanks.
>
>Only if you prevent people from booting up their own system disks.  With
>that caveat, you can edit the Chooser's DITL resource with ResEdit and
>change the type of the name field from "Edit Text" to "Static Text".
>Voila: it's read-only.
>Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>

This was the first thing I tried, when I decided something like this was
needed for the machines in our public Mac labs.  But I'm afraid that it
doesn't work.  The field comes up as Static text, and clicking on it
does no good,  but if you start typing the default name is replaced
with the new characters.  You might try locking the STR -16096 resource
in the System Folder--this insures that the name you want will be installed
at least on every start-up of the machine.

Tom
--
Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-6952