[comp.sys.mac.misc] Microsoft Word with ChineseTalk

calvinc@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) (07/15/90)

I'm planning on doing some word processing in Chinese on the Mac. I'm
wondering if MS-Word 4.00 which I'm using right now would be compatible with
ChineseTalk 6.0.3. I'm also not sure about the page layout possibilities
with programs like PageMaker.  Do I need customized versions of these
programs to use Chinese or can I just get back with what I already have.

Likewise, what sort of resolution can I get with the standard LaserWriter
and ImageWriter? I understand that there is a special Chinese version of the
LaserWriter that comes with Chinese Postscript fonts. That means that in the
absense of these fonts, I can only output to the laserwriter Chinese fonts
as bitmaps?

dankg@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (07/15/90)

In article <1990Jul14.211439.22951@agate.berkeley.edu>,
calvinc@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Jovan Pavle Mitrevski) said:
>I'm planning on doing some word processing in Chinese on the Mac. I'm
>wondering if MS-Word 4.00 which I'm using right now would be compatible with
>ChineseTalk 6.0.3. I'm also not sure about the page layout possibilities
>with programs like PageMaker.  Do I need customized versions of these
>programs to use Chinese or can I just get back with what I already have.

	I do not have ChineseTalk but since I have KanjiTalk, the Japanese
Mac OS and it has many things in common let me discuss about it.
	ChineseTalk is SUPPOSED to work fine with Word 4.0 as my KanjiTalk
works fine with it.  Thanks to Script Manager, the only thing you have
to change to localize language is replacing OS under Mac, as long as the
application uses Toolbox routines instead of its own.
	However, there are some kludges:  You need at very least 2 Megs
to run ChineseTalk since it uses huge number of set of font--2bytes instead
of 1 like KanjiTalk and phonetic-to-iconographic character conversion
driver (also called FEP).  And usually due to its 2 byte/char nature you
see something funny when you try to delete characters with delete key--
it takes two strokes to delete a character instead of one.  Application
is responsible to resolve kludges like this or shortcomings of Script Manager
and Word 4.0 doesn't give a damb.

>Likewise, what sort of resolution can I get with the standard LaserWriter
>and ImageWriter? I understand that there is a special Chinese version of the
>LaserWriter that comes with Chinese Postscript fonts. That means that in the
>absense of these fonts, I can only output to the laserwriter Chinese fonts
>as bitmaps?

	ImageWriter is no problem since it uses QuickDraw also.  For LaserWrite
you'll have to wait:  If you were to use KanjiTalk Japanese PostScript
and LaserWrite NTX-J are both available.  But that's not true for Chinese
and I don't know when Chinese Postscript or Chinese Truetype will be
availabe...

----------------
____  __  __    + Dan The "Mac is for rest of us--with or witout Englisha
" Man
____| ______    + Voice:        +1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|   + USnail:       1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
|___  |__|__|   + Oxymora:    Usable MS-DOS, Multitasking Mac, Secure Unix,
    |____|____  + 		rec.humor posters without sense of humor,
  \_|    |      +		Christian Science, and English grammer

calvinc@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) (07/16/90)

In article <1990Jul15.094927.21484@agate.berkeley.edu> dankg@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
>In article <1990Jul14.211439.22951@agate.berkeley.edu>,
>
>	I do not have ChineseTalk but since I have KanjiTalk, the Japanese
>Mac OS and it has many things in common let me discuss about it.
>	ChineseTalk is SUPPOSED to work fine with Word 4.0 as my KanjiTalk
>works fine with it.  Thanks to Script Manager, the only thing you have
>to change to localize language is replacing OS under Mac, as long as the

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case I tried out with. MS-Word
produced the wrong words from my entries.  When I tried to copy Chinese text
via the clipboard, some characters were copied wrongly. The gloassary
insert date features do work.  Do you have the same problems with Kanji-Talk?
Do you think it is a good idea to approach Microsoft since they are
not noted for giving good service?

Further I can't format the Chinese characters the way that's natural like
having them arranged in neat rows and columns. But for that I'd think
I'll need a more specialized Chinese word processor. I'm not sure about
compatibility issues if I were to cut and paste between that and graphics
programs.
>	ImageWriter is no problem since it uses QuickDraw also.  For LaserWrite
>you'll have to wait:  If you were to use KanjiTalk Japanese PostScript
>and LaserWrite NTX-J are both available.  But that's not true for Chinese
>and I don't know when Chinese Postscript or Chinese Truetype will be
>availabe...

I have in fact seen the Chinese LaserWriter called the LaserWriter NTX-A or
something at MacWorld Singapore last year. They were still having the beta
release of ChineseTalk 6.0 then so there were some unacceptable printing flaws
(overlapped characters etc). There was also a customized version of PageMaker
but I didn't check what exactly it could do. Beside the standard complement
of Apple fonts, are there other fonts?