[comp.sys.mac.misc] New Personal LaserWriters announced

MAC111@psuvm.psu.edu (PAMUG user group, Adrian Sullivan) (07/10/90)

Below is a Press release of two new Personal LaserWriters, the NT and SC.
Disclaimer: this isn't an Advertisement, just an informational posting.
Adrian Sullivan              Vice President - PAMUG user group
(814) 867-8367               Developer - Anonae Software
axs@psuarch.bitnet           Technical Consultant - AMSW Software
PAMUG - Pennsylvania Apple Microcomputer User Group
mac111@psuvm.psu.edu         Mac111@psuvm.bitnet

=====
Apple Introduces Low-Cost Laser Printers for Macintosh

CUPERTINO, CaliforniaQJuly 9, 1990QApple Computer, Inc. today launched a new
line of LaserWriter  printers that give Macintosh  computer users the full
power and flexibility of laser printing at a more affordable price.  Two new
printers comprise the line:  the Personal LaserWriter SC, at $1,999, is a
single-user laser printer for customers requiring basic text and graphics.  The
Personal LaserWriter NT, at $3,299, is a multiuser laser printer for
individuals and small work groups with more advanced graphics needs.  As with
all Apple  LaserWriter printers, the new line is high-quality, easy-to-use and
configure, and compatible with all Macintosh computers.

ROur new Personal LaserWriter printers not only make laser-quality printing
more affordable, they also take full advantage of the rich text and graphics
capabilities of the Macintosh,S said Randy Battat, vice president of product
marketing.  RWeUve standardized important features at a lower price so more
Macintosh users will be able to enjoy the benefits of high-quality laser
printing.S

Personal LaserWriter SC
The Personal LaserWriter SC, for individual Macintosh users, meets basic
productivity and simple desktop publishing needs, including correspondence,
presentations and reports.  It is well-suited for single users who require
high-quality output, but donUt need networking or more advanced text and
graphics capabilities.  The printer uses the QuickDraw  graphics routines that
reside in every Macintosh to create sharply defined text and images.  The
Personal LaserWriter SC incorporates the Motorola 68000 microprocessor and
includes 1MB of random access memory (RAM), the amount required for imaging a
full page of text and graphics at 300 dot-per-inch (dpi) resolution.  Times,
Helvetica, Courier and Symbol typefaces in sizes 9 through 24 point are
included on floppy disks packaged with the printer.
A SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface) interface provides high-speed data
transfer capabilities for fast printing and the flexibility for daisy-chaining
up to six additional peripheral devices.  The Personal LaserWriter SC can be
upgraded to the more advanced capabilities of the Personal LaserWriter NT
simply by replacing the controller board.

Personal LaserWriter NT
The Personal LaserWriter NT is a multiuser laser printer for individuals and
small work groups with more advanced graphics needs.  It performs a range of
productivity and publishing tasks from basic correspondence to complex
newsletters and illustrations.  The printer includes Adobe PostScript, the page
description language that gives users sophisticated text and graphics
capabilities.  It also includes AppleTalk QAppleUs built-in network
capabilityQwhich allows the printer to be shared among small groups of
Macintosh users or Apple  IIe and Apple IIGS  users via a built-in LocalTalk
connector.  The Personal LaserWriter NT can be shared in a mixed environment of
Macintosh computers and other computer platforms such as MS-DOS, OS/2 or UNIX
-based systems via an optional LocalTalk PC peripheral card.  In addition, the
Personal LaserWriter NT incorporates an RS-232 serial interface, which provides
connectivity for non-Apple computers.  Via the serial port, users can print
non-PostScript documents using the built-in HP LaserJet Plus or Diablo 630
printer emulation.  The Personal LaserWriter NT incorporates the Motorola 68000
microprocessor and has 2MB of RAM.  It can be upgraded to 8MB of RAM to improve
speed and allow additional room for downloading fonts.  Thirty-five standard
typefaces are included with the printer to give users a choice of print styles.
Two other fonts that are used in Diablo 630 ECS emulation are included.  The
printer also supports hundreds of downloadable fonts available from third-party
computer typography companies.

Benefits
The Personal LaserWriter printers offer users the following benefits:
-High-resolution, high-quality printing:  The combined power of a Motorola
68000 processor and the Canon LBP-LX laser engine provides users with the
capability to print documents with 300-dpi near-typeset quality text, graphics,
and scanned images.
-Space-saving desktop design:  The printers feature a new compact design that
measures 15S x 18.3S, weighs 32 pounds, and requires top and front access only,
minimizing the amount of space required.
-Full functionality and compatibility:  Apple tightly integrates the computer,
the operating system, the printer and the printer software, thus optimizing the
entire system to provide full functionality and ensuring compatibility with all
Macintosh computers, virtually all Macintosh applications, and all other
LaserWriter printers.
-Versatile Paper Handling:  The printers offer an automatic-feed 250 sheet
paper cassette as well as a multipurpose paper tray that can be used for
letterhead, envelopes, labels, card stock and other non-standard papers.
-Low-Maintenance:  The parts of the printer most sensitive to normal wear are
replaced automatically with the printerUs toner cartridge, ensuring sharp print
quality, smooth printer operation and less maintenance.

Combined with a lower price, Apple believes these qualities make the Personal
LaserWriter printers an attractive choice for students, home users, and small
or large businesses with lower volume printing needs.

With the introduction of the Personal LaserWriter printers, Apple has broadened
its LaserWriter family to include two distinct printer lines.  The Personal
LaserWriter line gives users with low-volume printing requirements two low-cost
options for quality laser printing. The LaserWriter II line gives users with
more rigorous and sophisticated printing needs a choice of two high-volume,
high-performance laser printers.  The LaserWriter family now includes the
following four printers:
-  Personal LaserWriter SC (replaces the LaserWriter IISC);
-  Personal LaserWriter NT;
-  LaserWriter IINT, a higher volume, network-capable laser printer with
advanced graphics capabilities;
-  LaserWriter IINTX, AppleUs high-performance laser printer with advanced
graphics and networking capabilities, and expansion options for additional font
storage and faster printing.

Pricing and Availability
The Personal LaserWriter printers are available immediately in volume worldwide
through all Apple authorized resellers.  Apple products carry a one-year
limited warranty.  ManufacturerUs suggested retail prices in the United States
are as follows (prices outside the United States may vary):

-Personal LaserWriter SC    $1,999
-Personal LaserWriter NT   $3,299
-Personal LaserWriter Toner Cartridge (one included standard with printer)  $99
-Personal LaserWriter NT Controller Card  $1,300
(To upgrade a Personal LaserWriter SC to a Personal LaserWriter NT, requires
return of SC card.)
-Personal LaserWriter Letter Cassette (one included standard with printer) $79
-Personal LaserWriter Legal Cassette   $79
-Personal LaserWriter Envelope Cassette  $89

-LaserWriter IINT  $4,499
-LaserWriter IINTX  $5,999
-LaserWriter IINTX Controller Card  $1,500
(To upgrade a LaserWriter IINT to a LaserWriter IINTX, requires return of IINT
card.)

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, LaserWriter, AppleTalk, Local Talk and Apple
IIGS are registered trademarks and QuickDraw is a trademark of Apple Computer,
Inc.  PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Inc. UNIX is a
registered trademark of AT&T.  LaserJet is a registered trademark of
Hewlett-Packard Corp.  Diablo is a trademark of Xerox Corp.

c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (07/11/90)

OK, now that Apple has announced the new laserwriters: does anybody
know the University Consortium Price of these things?

--Walter
Walter Carlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
(the "3" is invisible)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet
                 **** c3ar@finite.chi.il.us ****
               **** . . . clout!finite!c3ar  ****
     **** c3ar%finite.chi.il.us@gargoyle.uchicago.edu ****

brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) (07/11/90)

From article <90191.015015MAC111@psuvm.psu.edu>, by MAC111@psuvm.psu.edu (PAMUG user group, Adrian Sullivan):
> Below is a Press release of two new Personal LaserWriters, the NT and SC.

> =====
> Apple Introduces Low-Cost Laser Printers for Macintosh
>
> CUPERTINO, CaliforniaQJuly 9, 1990QApple Computer, Inc. today launched a new
> line of LaserWriter  printers that give Macintosh  computer users the full
> power and flexibility of laser printing at a more affordable price.  Two new
> printers comprise the line:  the Personal LaserWriter SC, at $1,999, is a
> single-user laser printer for customers requiring basic text and graphics.  The
> Personal LaserWriter NT, at $3,299, is a multiuser laser printer for
> individuals and small work groups with more advanced graphics needs.  As with
> all Apple  LaserWriter printers, the new line is high-quality, easy-to-use and
> configure, and compatible with all Macintosh computers.

Well ... in my opinion (and its only mine - my employer could probably
care less) if you want a non-Postscript, cheap laser printer set up, go
for the following:

1.  An HP Laserjet IIP (available  now for < $900 after rebate)
2.  The MacPrint printer driver (< $100)
3.  Adobe Type Manager (< $60)

I use this all of the time, and it works great. For text only
documents, I can use the built in fonts and get great 300 dpi output
very quickly.  Even simple graphics print quickly using an option
in the print driver (although the output sometimes prints hidden
items when this option is turned on).  For full 300 dpi text and
graphics that looks just as good as postscript, you give up some
speed, but no quality.

Admittedly, the slow communication (19.6 K) of this set up can be
a bottleneck, slowing printing down to over 10 minutes a page
sometimes.  But other than this, I don't see any advantage to
the new Apple Personal LW SC.  Well, I bet the SC works with
PrintMonitor - background printing with MacPrint requires
SuperLaserSpool , but that's another $100 (well, mine was free with
my Dataframe harddisk).

One BIG advantage of this set up, at least to me, is that I can
use the IIP to print from DOS (using SoftPC or an A/B switch box).
You can't do that with the Apple SC (I'd guess).

Oh yea, for a little more money, you can put the IIP on Localtalk.  I
use a Shiva NetSerial, but I understand HP now sells a LocalTalk
version of the IIP (price unknown, rebate doubtful). This would
probably bring the price up to a discounted Personal SC, but now
the printer is shareable.

So, that's my input for lower cost printing options (you want really
low cost 300 DPI, price out the DeskJet Plus + MacPrint). I'm happy
with my set up and I wanted to let others now that this alternative
works.

Brion

brion@honet9.att.com

P.S.  I lied a tiny, little bit.  I actually use an HP LaserJet II.
      But MacPrint works with the IIP also.

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul11.131926.5416@cbnewsh.att.com>, brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) writes:

> Well ... in my opinion (and its only mine - my employer could probably
> care less) if you want a non-Postscript, cheap laser printer set up, go
> for the following:
>
> 1.  An HP Laserjet IIP (available  now for < $900 after rebate)
> 2.  The MacPrint printer driver (< $100)
> 3.  Adobe Type Manager (< $60)

One more item needs to be added to the list to get the most out of the
HP LaserJet IIP:

  4.  An additional megabyte of memory for the printer.

In order to print high quality text and graphics (300dpi), the IIP requires
an extra megabyte over the 500k with with it comes stock.  This extra memory
will cost about $500 if purchased from Hewlett-Packard and about $250 if
purchased from Pacific Data Products.  That makes the total cost of a
completely usable IIP about $1300.  If you have to share the printer with
IBMs, it is a very good option.  If you have only macs hooked up to the
printer, then GCC makes some good postscript laser printers for about the
same $1300 which will be much faster than the IIP.
Also, if you are sharing the IIP with other computers, take note of the
fact that your warranty is voided if you use a switch box that doesn't
suppress voltage surges during switching.  I expect other laser printer
warranties have the same condition.

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (07/12/90)

(brion.n.feinberg) writes:
> Oh yea, for a little more money, you can put the IIP on Localtalk.  I
> use a Shiva NetSerial, but I understand HP now sells a LocalTalk
> version of the IIP (price unknown, rebate doubtful). This would
> probably bring the price up to a discounted Personal SC, but now
> the printer is shareable.

 Well the AppleTalk board for the LaserJet 3 is $215 retail and I'd suspect
the IIP would be the same.

 I find the LaserJet, MacPrint,ATM set up works like a charm and if I want,
PostScript is just a mere $500 away.

> Admittedly, the slow communication (19.6 K) of this set up can be
> a bottleneck, slowing printing down to over 10 minutes a page
> sometimes.

 One advantage of having a Mac with a parallel port is that I can transfer
it over at 57.?k baud (or whatever that top setting is.) It transfers pages
very fast. (I case your wondering, its an Atari with Mac emulation.)

Cheers,
Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (07/12/90)

In article <44794@brunix.UUCP>, mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
> In article <1990Jul11.131926.5416@cbnewsh.att.com> brion@cbnewsh.att.com
> (brion.n.feinberg) writes:
> > Oh yea, for a little more money, you can put the IIP on Localtalk.  I
>
>  Well the AppleTalk board for the LaserJet 3 is $215 retail and I'd suspect
> the IIP would be the same.
>
> > Admittedly, the slow communication (19.6 K) of this set up can be
> > a bottleneck, slowing printing down to over 10 minutes a page
> > sometimes.
>
>  One advantage of having a Mac with a parallel port is that I can transfer
> it over at 57.?k baud (or whatever that top setting is.) It transfers pages
> very fast. (I case your wondering, its an Atari with Mac emulation.)

And if you have the AppleTalk board, your bits go down the wire at around
230K bps.  (750K with FlashTalk?)  If you have AppleTalk (or LocalTalk, this
week).

------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.
------------

In article <44794@brunix.UUCP> mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:

> I find the LaserJet, MacPrint,ATM set up works like a charm and if I want,
>PostScript is just a mere $500 away.
>
>> Admittedly, the slow communication (19.6 K) of this set up can be
>> a bottleneck, slowing printing down to over 10 minutes a page
>> sometimes.
>
> One advantage of having a Mac with a parallel port is that I can transfer
>it over at 57.?k baud (or whatever that top setting is.) It transfers pages
>very fast. (I case your wondering, its an Atari with Mac emulation.)

The mac, or the Mac II anyway, has no problem transferring data that fast
over the serial port... the bottleneck must be in the printer...
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (07/12/90)

The new NT version looks very nice but is it faster than the NTX?

Also, there are dual paper trays.  Will there be included new
drivers to take advantage of this feature?

brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) (07/13/90)

From article <138771@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix):
  ... Lots of discussion about using MacPrint and and LaserJet rather than
      the new Personal SC.  Limitation is communication speed (basic LJ II
      only supports 19.6K)

> And if you have the AppleTalk board, your bits go down the wire at around
> 230K bps.  (750K with FlashTalk?)  If you have AppleTalk (or LocalTalk, this
> week).

Does this work?  Can MacPrint talk to a Localtalk equipped LaserJet?
The version I have seems to only use the serial drivers.

Brion
brion@honet9.att.com

chris@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) (07/13/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.hardware
Subject: Re: New Personal LaserWriters announced
In article <1990Jul12.133343.300@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <44794@brunix.UUCP> mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
>> I find the LaserJet, MacPrint,ATM set up works like a charm and if I want,
>>PostScript is just a mere $500 away.
>>> Admittedly, the slow communication (19.6 K) of this set up can be
>>> a bottleneck, slowing printing down to over 10 minutes a page
>>> sometimes.
>>
>> One advantage of having a Mac with a parallel port is that I can transfer
>>it over at 57.?k baud (or whatever that top setting is.) It transfers pages
>>very fast. (I case your wondering, its an Atari with Mac emulation.)
>The mac, or the Mac II anyway, has no problem transferring data that fast
>over the serial port... the bottleneck must be in the printer...

The Mac Plus can do this as well; GDT Softworks (who make the JetLink+
software that drives my DeskJet+) makes a box that turns the plus's serial
port data at 56kb (roughly... I forget the exact numbers) into parallel
for the DeskJet+'s parallel port.  This can be used for all the HP printers,
I believe.

	--chris sterritt

=                Chris Sterritt - chris@adms-rad.unisys.com                =
=                    "Look!  A Noise!" -- Jenny, age 2                     =
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam

jness@umn-d-ub.d.umn.edu (Joel Ness) (07/13/90)

Here's what I've been trying to find out about these new printers.
Aren't they using the same engine that's in the new HP printers? The one
with the variable dot size? And, if so, does that mean it will be
possible to get a better-than-300-dot-per-inch appearance out of them?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (07/17/90)

In article <107@umn-d-ub.d.umn.edu> jness@umn-d-ub.d.umn.edu (Joel Ness)
writes:
> Here's what I've been trying to find out about these new printers.
> Aren't they using the same engine that's in the new HP printers? The one
> with the variable dot size? And, if so, does that mean it will be
> possible to get a better-than-300-dot-per-inch appearance out of them?

 The new LaserWriters use the same engine as the LaserJet IIP. The LaserJet
that has the Resolution Enchancement is the series 3 and it gets that
feature from a propriatary HP chip in it. The series 3 LJ uses the Canon
SX engine which is the same as the LaserWriter II series. So the answer is
no, at least until Apple decides to licence the technology from HP but you
remember what happened the last time Apple licenced printing technology
(read: Adobe) :-)

Cheers,
Marshall
--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul12.225834.15529@cbnewsh.att.com> brion@cbnewsh.att.com
(brion.n.feinberg) writes:
> Does this work?  Can MacPrint talk to a Localtalk equipped LaserJet?
> The version I have seems to only use the serial drivers.

 I believe you get a Chooser document that works over Localtalk when you
buy the Localtalk add-on. At least that's what the HP dealer told me but
then again, the one that I asked didn't know all his facts.
 I would suspect that the driver is little different from the MacPrint
driver since they both come from HP. (Insight sure looks like an HP
offshoot especially when the MacPrint manual has an HP reorder number!)
Cheers,
Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (07/18/90)

In article <11227@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>In article <1990Jul11.131926.5416@cbnewsh.att.com>, brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) writes:
>> Well ... in my opinion (and its only mine - my employer could probably
>> care less) if you want a non-Postscript, cheap laser printer set up, go
>> for the following:
>> 1.  An HP Laserjet IIP (available  now for < $900 after rebate)
>> 2.  The MacPrint printer driver (< $100)
>> 3.  Adobe Type Manager (< $60)
>One more item needs to be added to the list to get the most out of the
>HP LaserJet IIP:
>  4.  An additional megabyte of memory for the printer.
>In order to print high quality text and graphics (300dpi), the IIP requires
>an extra megabyte over the 500k with with it comes stock.  This extra memory
>will cost about $500 if purchased from Hewlett-Packard and about $250 if
>purchased from Pacific Data Products.  That makes the total cost of a
>completely usable IIP about $1300.  If you have to share the printer with
>IBMs, it is a very good option.  If you have only macs hooked up to the
>printer, then GCC makes some good postscript laser printers for about the
>same $1300 which will be much faster than the IIP.

[Disclaimer: I *do* work for GCC Technologies, so feel free to take the
following with a grain of salt]

Actually, the GCC printer that goes for $1399 is the Personal Laser
Printer II, which, is *not* a Postscript printer. The PLP II is a
4 ppm SCSI-connected QuickDraw based laser printer. The printing throughput,
is, however, a *lot* higher than the 10 min/page mentioned earlier in this
thread for the Laserjet IIP.  It also includes a driver with Bitstream
outline fonts (similar to the DeskWriter driver, but with more fonts), so
neither ATM nor 4x fonts are required for high quality output.

I believe, however, that the GCC printer that is really competitive with the
LW SC is the PLP IIS, which is like the PLP II but uses the 8 ppm engine
and has 1 meg of RAM on board (making it faster). It also comes with more
fonts than the PLP, and it lists for $1899, ($100 less than the SC).

IMHO, Apple's printers are too little, too late. The one new printer I
like is QMS's new low-end PostScript; of course, we all know the Personal LWs
will sell well anyway (I can see dealers bundling them with systems), just
like the overpriced and underfeatured ImageWriter line sold like hotcakes.

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde
Design Engineer
GCC Technologies, Waltham, MA
captkidd@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

Disclaimer: The above are my opinions and mine alone.