[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mouse autoresetting to Very Slow: how stop this?

RSBONDI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Richard S. Bondi) (07/17/90)

Have had following problem on two MacPluses: every time Mac is turned on,
the mouse is on Very Slow setting.  Setting to Fast in Control Panel
works until the Mac is turned off and on again.  Selecting Control
Panel with commannd-option-shift doesn't help, nor does taking out
battery for ten minutes.  Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to
make the Control Panel settings for the mouse stick? Thanks in advance.

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (07/17/90)

In article <11339@pucc.Princeton.EDU> RSBONDI@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>Have had following problem on two MacPluses: every time Mac is turned on,
>the mouse is on Very Slow setting.  Setting to Fast in Control Panel
>works until the Mac is turned off and on again.  Selecting Control
>Panel with commannd-option-shift doesn't help, nor does taking out
>battery for ten minutes.  Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to
>make the Control Panel settings for the mouse stick? Thanks in advance.

Are the time and date correct on those machines?  If not then maybe the
battery that keeps all that stuff backed up when the Mac's turned off is
dead.  Or close to it.  Another possibility is that the chip were all those
setting are stored has gone bad...

steve

  Steve Christensen             Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
  Apple Computer, Inc.          AppleLink:  CHRISTENSE1
  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 81BB    CompuServe: 76174,1712
  Cupertino, CA  95014          phone:      408-974-4369

  Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge.

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (07/18/90)

From: RSBONDI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Richard S. Bondi):
....>Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to
>make the Control Panel settings for the mouse stick?
>Thanks in advance.

Your battery is most likely dead, and needs to be replaced.
The battery keeps the parameter RAM alive, which is where
your Control Panel settings are stored.

                                        --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

jmeyer@uniol.UUCP (Jochen Meyer) (07/18/90)

RSBONDI@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Richard S. Bondi) writes:

>Have had following problem on two MacPluses: every time Mac is turned on,
>the mouse is on Very Slow setting.  Setting to Fast in Control Panel
>works until the Mac is turned off and on again.  Selecting Control
>Panel with commannd-option-shift doesn't help, nor does taking out
>battery for ten minutes.  Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to
>make the Control Panel settings for the mouse stick? Thanks in advance.

It sounds as if the battery for the pram is low. I also own a Mac Plus
and I never had this problem. Perhaps your Mac has been unplugged for
a longer time so that the battery has completely discharged? (By the
way, does anyone out there know, how long the battery will last?)

Disclaimer: All the usual thing plus: No guarantee etc for anyone
	    misunderstanding me due to my wrong english :-)
Jochen Meyer
Tel. 0441 / 81994 (voice)
inHouse: faustus@aragorn
email: jmeyer@uniol.uucp
bitnet: 527065@doluni1.bitnet

man@eilat.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (07/18/90)

In article <3109@uniol.UUCP>, jmeyer@uniol.UUCP (Jochen Meyer) writes:

|>It sounds as if the battery for the pram is low. I also own a Mac Plus
|>and I never had this problem. Perhaps your Mac has been unplugged for
|>a longer time so that the battery has completely discharged? (By the
|>way, does anyone out there know, how long the battery will last?)

I'm still running off the original battery of my Mac 128 from March 1984.
(The Mac is now a 2048Ke, but that's another story...)

	--Mark