[comp.sys.mac.misc] Problems upgrading TOPS

monty@tempone.Central.Sun.COM (Monty Solomon) (07/18/90)

When I try to update TOPS to TOPS 3.0 on a Mac II running System 6.0.5, I get
the following error message from TOPS when I reboot:

"Can't start TOPS: other software has modified the local file system.  Try
removing the other software."

What are they talking about?  Why doesn't this work?  What is brain damaged
about TOPS 3.0?

Thanks.

--
# Monty Solomon / <monty@sunne.east.sun.com>
# PO Box 45249 / Winter Hill, MA  02145-0003

adiseker@potomac.ads.com (Andrew Diseker) (07/19/90)

In article <2231@east.East.Sun.COM> monty@tempone.Central.Sun.COM (Monty Solomon) writes:
>When I try to update TOPS to TOPS 3.0 on a Mac II running System 6.0.5, I get
>the following error message from TOPS when I reboot:
>
>"Can't start TOPS: other software has modified the local file system.  Try
>removing the other software."
>
>What are they talking about?  Why doesn't this work?  What is brain damaged
>about TOPS 3.0?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
># Monty Solomon / <monty@sunne.east.sun.com>
># PO Box 45249 / Winter Hill, MA  02145-0003

	The problem is, you probably have Desktop Manager.  According to
appendix B of the manual, anything that modifies the system file before TOPS
is loaded will keep TOPS from starting, such as "the AppleShare server module
'Desktop Manager'" ( their words ).  The manual recommends removing the
offending init(s).  If you read the addendum booklet, they are very snide
about it.  They say ( not verbatim ):

	This error occurs if your disk was ever used as an AppleShare server,
and contains the file Desktop Manager. This file is not necessary.  Remove it.

	Irrespective of the fact that Desktop Manager is one of those
helpful little things that can make our lives just a bit easier.  I did an
experiment that seemed to work, if you want to keep DM.  Just rename the init
to zDesktop Manager, and TOPS won't complain.  >>>HOWEVER<<< I did not perform
rigorous testing, so proceed with caution.

	Hope this helps.

--
Andrew Diseker                            ( )-( )   Mouse-Tested!
Advanced Decision Systems                  /o o\    Hacker-Approved!

MARCELO@pucc.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (07/19/90)

Solomon) writes:
> When I try to update TOPS to TOPS 3.0 on a Mac II running System 6.0.5,
I get
> the following error message from TOPS when I reboot:
>
> "Can't start TOPS: other software has modified the local file system.
Try
> removing the other software."
>
> What are they talking about?  Why doesn't this work?  What is brain
damaged
> about TOPS 3.0?

     .. I have discovered that TOPS 3.0 doesn't like the Apple Desktop
Manager .. If you have this you will have to remove it and rebuild the
desktop ..

Solomon) writes:
> Thanks.

     .. You're welcome ..