[comp.sys.mac.misc] TidBITS availability file

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/18/90)

A number of people have asked for more information on where to get
TidBITS (obviously not a lot of people read comp.sys.mac.digest in
comparison to comp.sys.mac.misc), so here is the availability file.
TidBITS is also available on America Online in the Macintosh News
section of ForumLink and somewhere on CompuServe (thanks to Dennis
Cohen). Some back issues are on GEnie, but until I either get an
account myself or someone else volunteers to upload there, no new
issues will get there. Comp.sys.mac.digest is the best method for
limiting the net load though, so try to use it if you can. I usually
post early in the week and availability times vary after that.

Enjoy TidBITS and please send any comments or suggestions to me.

Many thanks ....... Adam C. Engst

                            TidBITS availability

   Unfortunately, we can no longer afford the time to send each of
you TidBITS through conventional email, so this will be (probably)
the last mail to go to the entire list. TidBITS is now available
at a number of sites as well as the Usenet group
comp.sys.mac.digest, so everyone should be able to find TidBITS in
the future. The Usenet group comp.sys.mac.digest will probably be
the fastest way of getting TidBITS each week, but at least four
sites archive TidBITS for access via anonymous FTP. They are (in
order of least time delay in making TidBITS available to the
public):

   ** rascal.ics.utexas.edu - in the mac/TidBITS-digests
directory.  Make sure to use binary transfer in both FTP and
MacBinary for your downloading program for files from rascal.
Also, case counts in using the command "cd mac/TidBITS-digests".

   ** simtel20.army.mil - in the directory PD3:<MACINTOSH.TECH>
but I'm not sure what format it will be in since simtel20 has
always told me there are too many anonymous users when I FTP
there.  If it is binary, make sure to use the command "tenex",
since simtel20 is a DEC20 system.

   ** sumex-aim.stanford.edu - in the info-mac/digest directory in
binhex format so you can use ASCII transfers in FTP and down to
your Mac.

   ** wuarchive.wustl.edu - in the mirrors/info-mac/digest
directory. wuarchive is a shadow of sumex so files appear a day or
so later there, but in the same format and with the same name.

   In addition to the FTP sites, three Bitnet servers shadow
sumex.  Although the Bitnet servers may maintain a directory
hierarchy, they do not use it when requesting files, so you do not
have specify the file path as well as the file name.  Also be
aware that the TELL command is specific to IBM CMS mainframes, but
there may be ways of sending interactive messages from other
machines.  Check the HELP on your machine for commands like SEND,
especially on Vaxen running VMS.  If you are using an IBM CMS
machine and prefer not to type out these long commands, we have
simple EXECs to do it for you.  If you would like to use these
EXECs, send mail and we will forward the appropriate ones to you.
   These servers are (in no particular order since the files
should appear at about the same time):

   ** LISTSERV@RICEVM1 - this site accepts interactive message of
the form:
      TELL LISTSERV AT RICEVM1 $MAC GET TIDBITS-1.HQX to get a
file.
Other commands include:
      TELL LISTSERV AT RICEVM1 $MAC HELP to get brief help.
      TELL LISTSERV AT RICEVM1 $MAC DIR to get a list of all files
stored.  This server also accepts mail requests with commands in
the same format (one command per line and the subject line is
ignored).  If your site does not understand Bitnet addresses for
mail, the Internet address for this machine is
listserv@ricevm1.rice.edu.  The contents of a sample mail file to
get a directory listing and to request the first issue of TidBITS
would look like this (the TELL LISTSERV AT RICEVM1 is not needed):
      $MAC DIR
      $MAC GET TIDBITS-1.HQX

   ** MACSERVE@PUCC - this site only accepts interactive messages
from users in the US. European users should instead use
MACSERVE@IRLEARN.  The messages must be in the format:
      TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC GET TIDBITS-1.HQX to get a file.
Other commands are:
      TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC HELP to get brief help.
      TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC DIR to get a list of recent files.  To
get a list of all files, append the modifier ALL to the end of the
directory command.

   ** MACSERVE@IRLEARN - this site only accepts interactive
messages from European users.  Users in North America should use
MACSERVE@PUCC or LISTSERV@RICEVM1.  Use the following commands:
      TELL MACSERVE AT IRLEARN GET filespec to get a file.
Other commands are:
      TELL MACSERVE AT IRLEARN DIR to get a list of recent files
      TELL MACSERVE AT IRLEARN DIR ALL to get a list of all files.

   **FILESERV@IRLEARN - this site only accepts mail messages from
European users.  The commands must be one per line in the mail
file and include the following:
      GET MACFILE LISTING    ----    for a complete list of files
      INDEX NEWMAC           ----    for a list of recent files
      GET filespec           ----    to get a file specify the
numerical filename and filetype, eg.890420 00000001

(thanks to Brian Morrissey for the IRLEARN commands)

   Again, thanks for your support and please send us any
suggestions, comments, or offers to upload TidBITS to online
services other than America Online.

   Adam C. Engst -  pv9y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu
   Tonya Byard
--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (07/19/90)

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>A number of people have asked for more information on where to get
>TidBITS (obviously not a lot of people read comp.sys.mac.digest in
>comparison to comp.sys.mac.misc), so here is the availability file.
>TidBITS is also available on America Online in the Macintosh News
>section of ForumLink and somewhere on CompuServe (thanks to Dennis
>Cohen). Some back issues are on GEnie, but until I either get an
>account myself or someone else volunteers to upload there, no new
>issues will get there. Comp.sys.mac.digest is the best method for
>limiting the net load though, so try to use it if you can. I usually
>post early in the week and availability times vary after that.

The location on Compu$erve is MacPro Forum, Data Library 1.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.