[comp.sys.mac.misc] scanners

bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) (07/12/90)

What recommendations do you people in netland have for scanners?
I'm interested in the HPScanJetPlus, the Apple Scanner, and a Microtek.
The requirements are that it be a flatbed with possibility of adding
a document feeder.  The primary interest would be for OCR, but gray
scale images would also be used.

Software ease of use is also important.  I read the MacWorld articles
in the Feb 89 and May 89 issues about OCR and scanners, so I know that
the Apple is limited to 4 bits and no document feed, but it's supposed
to be easy to use.

609-734-3384
bmh@siemens.siemens.com

ddaniel@portia.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (07/20/90)

In article <34097@siemens.siemens.com> bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) writes:
>What recommendations do you people in netland have for scanners?
>I'm interested in the HPScanJetPlus, the Apple Scanner, and a Microtek.
>The requirements are that it be a flatbed with possibility of adding
>a document feeder.  The primary interest would be for OCR, but gray
>scale images would also be used.

We're considering waiting just a little bit longer since colour
scanners seem to be encroaching on the B&W range in terms of price and
quality, especially the ~$1500 by LaCie.  Any experiences, thoughts on
the advantages of one over the other, or recommendations?

--
  == Daniel ==                     Daniel Sternbergh
                                   ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu