[comp.sys.mac.misc] Floppies

ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) (07/19/90)

Sorry guys...something went wrong....the whole message was not displayed

 The problem I am having is I can't connect a third floppy to the Mac SE/30.
 Can I connect three floppies to it...??? Any help will be greatly appreciated
 Thanks

 Ali!

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (07/20/90)

In article <11502@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> ali99@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Mohammad Ali) writes:
> The problem I am having is I can't connect a third floppy to the Mac SE/30.
> Can I connect three floppies to it...??? Any help will be greatly appreciated
> Thanks
>
> Ali!

No, you can't.  The SE/30 has the physical space inside the machine for 2
drives, and an external connector, but the logic board only has internal
connetions for 1 floppy.  The only mac (out now) that supports 3 floppy drives
is the SE.

I've had to give people back internal floppies on about half of the 4 or so
SE/30 upgrades I've done.  And that upgrade is a real beast!  I mean, the only
thing you don't take out is the slot cover on the back panel!  You remove the
internal brackets and toss them, take out the analog board/power supply,
remove the drive housing (and hope they have an internal hd so you don't have
to take that apart...), take out the monitor, and toss the front bezel.
Then you assemble the new bracket and put it all on a new bezel.  AUGH!
(When I say toss, I mean ship back to Apple.)

The cx/ci upgrade is simplicity compared to this!  And maintenance on one is
really easy--some WONDERFUL person/people put some thought into making service
of these things simple.  Ah, but then there were the plus and se...sigh...

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!