[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Software database.

pho@dilow.esd.sgi.com (Paul Ho) (07/18/90)

     OK guys and girls, how about this for an idea. How about a news group that
has a list of _all_ mac programs. Included will be the program title, author,
what it is, and the current version number. There won't be any reviews
of products (hopefully no flame wars about which program is better).
I think it would be great to have such a list. It would be great for checking
current version numbers, what is available, etc. We should keep the list free
of personal comments; leave any discussion to this group. It would just be
an unbiased list. Well, what do you think? Too much? Already tried? Already
done? Dumb idea? Get back to work?

Paul

Shields up! Ready for your response!

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (07/20/90)

> How about a newsgroup that has a list of _all_ mac programs.
> Included will be the program title, author, what it is, and the
> current version number.

I like the idea, but it may be a tough one to implement.  I've taken it upon
myself to try to maintain a list of Mac *freeware* since this spring, and
I've found that it's a LOT of work.  Here are some of the problems:

--  New stuff comes out daily; it's hard to keep up.

--  Quite a few (free) programs don't even have version numbers.

--  Defining "program" isn't easy; is a set of cursors for cursor animation
    a "program"?   What about a set of resources that one installs into
    ResEdit to allow it to edit some new resource type?  If resources are
    "programs," what about fonts, graphics, sounds?  Ugh.

--  Describing programs isn't easy.  Some programs don't have good docs.
    Sometimes it isn't possible to *try* a program to determine what it does
    because it only works with unavailable hardware or software (i.e.,
    a network utility when one isn't on a net.)  Or it may be so special-
    purpose it addresses a problem that's in a subject or at a technical
    level one doesn't understand.

--  How to describe bugs and compatibility problems?  Sometimes the newest
    version of a program doesn't work as well as older versions.  Some crash
    for reasons that aren't easy to pinpoint, sometimes only in combination
    with other programs, INITs, memory limitations, etc.  Since any crash
    is potentially a disaster for someone, a software list should say
    SOMETHING about reliability, but it's difficult to describe the
    unreliability of some programs accurately.  But it's probably still worth
    trying to do.

--  How to organize such a list?  People who use the list would often
    approach it with questions like "I need something that converts a PICT
    file to TIFF." or "Is there anything that lets me hook up a Foo brand
    printer to my Mac?"  The organization of the list should make answering
    such questions easy, and should put similar programs close together.

    For that, an alphabetical list wouldn't be very useful.  Sumex uses
    file type (app, DA, CDEV, INIT, etc), which makes it hard to find
    something if you don't know what form it exists in.  Software ads use
    general categories (business, hyperware, educational, etc)...that's not
    too bad.  The organization I personally find most useful is a sort of
    object-oriented one, characterizing programs by the main "object" they
    manipulate:  text utilities (editors, word processors), file utilities
    (Stuffit, BinHex, etc), disk utilities (SUM II, Floppy Fixer, Fast
    Formatter), etc.  But ANY attempt to categorize software inevitably runs
    into exceptions that don't fit any category (what object does a game
    program manipulate? :^) or that fit several categories (Microsoft Works).

I'm not sure I understand how this list would be a "newsgroup", unless that
means people would post additions and corrections to an archived list via the
newsgroup.  Having a lot of eye
balls proofreading the list would certainly
help keep it accurate; that would be good.  Changes to the list itself would
have to be approved and made only by one or two people, of course, to prevent
it from degenerating into chaos.  The list would definitely be useful...and
VERY long!

  -- Tony
| EMAIL:  tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu  |
| Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. |

forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu (Michael Scott Forbes) (07/20/90)

In article <10469@odin.corp.sgi.com> pho@dilow.esd.sgi.com writes:

>     OK guys and girls, how about this for an idea. How about a news group that
>has a list of _all_ mac programs. Included will be the program title, author,
>what it is, and the current version number.

If you *really* want to get ambitious, why not develop something similar to
the Dewey Decimal System and apply it to computer software?  Maybe get the
Library of Congress involved, set up a national software archive...

:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

Scott Forbes			University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
forbes@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu	Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
Encourage recycling!  Use the disclaimer from the previous poster's message

APPLEREP@MTUS5.BITNET (07/20/90)

On AppleLink, we have a large software reference library on-line.  It is
called the "Redgate Buyer's Guide."  I do not know if it covers EVERYTHING,
but it has served me well for the searches I have had to make.  I don't know
who or where "Redgate" is (is it a publishing company??), but they may be able
to provide this valuable service to people without access to AppleLink.

Just my $.02 worth...

Tom Amberg
Apple Student Rep
Michigan Technological University  (Way up in the great white north)

Note:  Do I speak for Apple?  Surely you jest.......

Signature?  I just started using the net; I don't even know how to make one!

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/20/90)

This is the sort of thing that TidBITS 2.0 will be good for because it
will be able to import text files, map them out, (hopefully) index on
several different keys, and provide a clean reading/archiving
environment. The current version of the TidBITS stack is too simple
(intentionally, I may add) to handle huge amounts of information
easily.

Adam

In article <10862@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) writes:
>> How about a newsgroup that has a list of _all_ mac programs.
>> Included will be the program title, author, what it is, and the
>> current version number.
>
> I like the idea, but it may be a tough one to implement.  I've taken it upon
> myself to try to maintain a list of Mac *freeware* since this spring, and
> I've found that it's a LOT of work.  Here are some of the problems...
>   -- Tony
> --
> | EMAIL:  tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu  |
> | Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. |
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"
                                                           -Paul Simon

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/21/90)

Redgate is a publishing company and they publish the Macintosh Buyers
Guide and Product Registry, which is what I assume you are seeing on
AppleLink since the Registry is on disk.  It's a good magazine (I only
have one issue) but it only does commercial stuff (at least in the
issue I have)....

Adam