[comp.sys.mac.misc] Loss of Mac's 20%... the Mac's

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/09/90)

by doner@aerospace.aero.org (John Doner):
| Do that, and they won't be around for the long run, or if they are, we won't
| care.  The money for all that R&D, developing and improving user interfaces,
| innovative software like Hypercard, etc., let alone the hardware, has to come
| from somewhere.

What a load of horsesh*t.  First, it is evident that Apple squanders a
lot of bucks on "image advertising", not on user interface R & D.
Have you watched any TV lately?

Second, it is apparent to me (being a former network software
developer), that Apple is blowing a lot of money on LAN software, 99%
of which, home & education users cannot take advantage of, and will
probably never take advantage of.

Third, many user interface breakthroughs arise in new application
software, not from some user interface bozo in a think tank.  Is
Hypercard the last piece of application software Apple will develop?
Then you can kiss user interface innovation GOODBYE.  I'd like to hear
you mention a "user interface breakthrough" Apple has made since 1987.
(Knowledgeable net readers know that most of the Mac II ROM
innovations were copied from other systems).  In fact, if we discount
tear-off menus, we can go all the way back to 1985.

Fourth, it is apparent that personal users are still being milked to
fuel Apple's push into the business market (i.e. some large fraction
of every SE purchase is probably spent on postscript printer support,
appletalk / appleshare upkeep, IIfx design, developer support for
high-end Color Retouch & CAD programs, etc. etc. etc.)

Don't kid yourself that high macintosh hardware revenues is being
spent on "The Rest of Us" as Apple used to say.  It's being spent on
"The Rich of Us", e.g. business users.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

In article <70400019@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>by doner@aerospace.aero.org (John Doner):
>| Do that, and they won't be around for the long run, or if they are, we won't
>| care.  The money for all that R&D, developing and improving user interfaces,
>| innovative software like Hypercard, etc., let alone the hardware, has to come
>| from somewhere.
>
>What a load of horsesh*t.  First, it is evident that Apple squanders a
>lot of bucks on "image advertising", not on user interface R & D.
>Have you watched any TV lately?
What the h*ll is wrong with advertising?  Now that they have finally started
SAYING 'Macintosh'...

>Second, it is apparent to me (being a former network software
>developer), that Apple is blowing a lot of money on LAN software, 99%
>of which, home & education users cannot take advantage of, and will
>probably never take advantage of.

Education users?  Funny, in high school we had a Corvus disk server that
Apple ][s ran off of.  At UMCP, we have LAN's of all sorts.  (and at home,
I've got a two-computer Appletalk LAN).  Why would LANs not be useful
for education users?
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/10/90)

> Education users?  Funny, in high school we had a Corvus disk server that
> Apple ][s ran off of.  At UMCP, we have LAN's of all sorts.  (and at home,
> I've got a two-computer Appletalk LAN).  Why would LANs not be useful
> for education users?

I guess it boils down to whether you consider Appletalk to be a LAN.
I don't, and my statements about LAN support weren't meant to apply to
240kbaud appletalk.

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (07/10/90)

From article <70400023@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, by gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu:

>> Education users?  Funny, in high school we had a Corvus disk server that
>> Apple ][s ran off of.  At UMCP, we have LAN's of all sorts.  (and at home,
>> I've got a two-computer Appletalk LAN).  Why would LANs not be useful
>> for education users?
>
> I guess it boils down to whether you consider Appletalk to be a LAN.
> I don't, and my statements about LAN support weren't meant to apply to
> 240kbaud appletalk.

No No No. AppleTalk is a collection of protocols that conform to the OSI
network layers model. It runs on LocalTalk cabling (the slow stuff),
EtherTalk cabling (ethernet), and TokenTalk (Token Ring--I believe this
is a recent addition). As usual, the speed of your network is directly
related to the amount of money you sink into the networking hardware.
For local peripheral sharing, LocalTalk is adequate; For a diskless work-
station you'll need something faster. [Aside: AppleTalk will also coexist
with other network protocols on the same cabling.]
--
Norman Graham                            Oklahoma State University
  Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu     Computing and Information Sciences

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (07/11/90)

In article <70400019@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Fourth, it is apparent that personal users are still being milked to
>fuel Apple's push into the business market (i.e. some large fraction
>of every SE purchase is probably spent on postscript printer support,
>appletalk / appleshare upkeep, IIfx design, developer support for
>high-end Color Retouch & CAD programs, etc. etc. etc.)
>Don't kid yourself that high macintosh hardware revenues is being
>spent on "The Rest of Us" as Apple used to say.  It's being spent on
>"The Rich of Us", e.g. business users.
>Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois

This above is a just about a good an arguement that was being rebutted.
ie its BS, every company, even the one you are working for is in
business to make a profit, if they weren't, you would not have a job.

Saying that the personal user is taking it in the wallet because of
the business market is a crock, personal purchases of Apple Computers
should not be paying any more than anyone else. It would be like saying
that anyone who got a educational or developer discount got cheated
because they didn't get it thru the business discount, which in most
cases is not that much better if anything at all then the discount
given most knowledgeable buyers would get in the first place.

Give it a rest, most all I ever see you do is Apple bash, and it hasn't
changed much of anything that I can see. And most of your analogies carry
no weight as they make little or no sense.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (07/13/90)

In article <70400019@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs writes:
>Third, many user interface breakthroughs arise in new application
>software, not from some user interface bozo in a think tank.  Is
>Hypercard the last piece of application software Apple will develop?
>Then you can kiss user interface innovation GOODBYE.  I'd like to hear
>you mention a "user interface breakthrough" Apple has made since 1987.

I've seen previews of System 7, and in my eyes System 7's publish and
subscribe technology counts as a breakthrough both in user interface
and operating system design.  It is easy, intuitive, much more useful
than traditional IAC designs (since the publishing application need
not be available at the same time as the subscriber), and in my
opinion quite a remarkable piece of work.

This technology will be available to every user on every Mac, just
like cut and paste is.  But the beauty of it is that you get greater
and greater benefit from it as you add to your hardware, or connect to
a network, etc.

>(Knowledgeable net readers know that most of the Mac II ROM
>innovations were copied from other systems).  In fact, if we discount
>tear-off menus, we can go all the way back to 1985.

I'd like to take issue with this, too.  I don't know of any other
system that allows for the use of multiple montiors with different bit
depths, or systems that allow you to change the bit depth or colors on
the fly.  That's a real advantage for the average novice user.  Though
PS/2 users can now take comfort from the fact that they don't have to
worry about DIP switches any more, they still can't add a new monitor,
and move windows between them just by using something equivalent to
the "Monitors" cdev.

>Fourth, it is apparent that personal users are still being milked to
>fuel Apple's push into the business market (i.e. some large fraction
>of every SE purchase is probably spent on postscript printer support,
>appletalk / appleshare upkeep, IIfx design, developer support for
>high-end Color Retouch & CAD programs, etc. etc. etc.)

It's rather hard to reconcile this with Apple's new Personal
LaserWriters, which are quite obviously not aimed at the business
market.  And developer support is developer support; so what if Claris
makes Claris CAD?  They also make MacWrite and MacDraw -- tools for
the rest of us.  Why shouldn't Apple spend money on developer support?
How else can they support their market (and our investment in Mac
hardware)?

I'd like to hear some support for your arguments.  In another posting
you claim that LocalTalk isn't a network.  I don't know what that
means -- we certainly use it as a network.  It's not fast, that's
true, but it's fast enough for our purposes and it has two great
advantages over PC networks:  It's free, and it's built into the
system.  So we can buy one LaserWriter and share it among several Macs
without having to know anything about networking or Ethernet cards or
system administration.  Just plug it all in and it works.  Where's the
equivalent functionality in Windows?

It's all fine and well to take Apple to task for high prices, but from
what I can see they still are really the only company that's spending
any time and effort to make computers more useful and more useable
for the entire personal computing population.  The fact that they're
not always 100% successful, or that they sometimes go more than 6
months without developing a major new technology shouldn't detract
from this.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/16/90)

> I'd like to take issue with this, too.  I don't know of any other
> system that allows for the use of multiple montiors with different bit
> depths,

I saw it in Xerox PARC's Cedar system in 1985, and assumed that it
existed in other graphics-based computer systems.  Maybe not.

> or systems that allow you to change the bit depth or colors on
> the fly.

Ooops, you're probably right here.  I forgot to count this feature.
This apparently requires a device-independent (or intensity-
independent) PICTure language such as the mac's to make it work, so it
is much easier to check if it existed in another system prior to the
macintosh.

------------------

It's easy to attack my message as it stands, but recall it was in
response to the following quote:

by doner@aerospace.aero.org (John Doner):
| Do that, and they won't be around for the long run, or if they are, we won't
| care.  The money for all that R&D, developing and improving user interfaces,
| innovative software like Hypercard, etc., let alone the hardware, has to come
| from somewhere.

Let's try it again.  What are the results of all this "R&D spending" recently?
(1) Apple hasn't released a new machine under $3000 since the SE in
1987.  When was the last change in the Imagewriter II price or
performance?  The mind boggles.

(2) With the exception of tear-off menues Apple hasn't produced its
own user interface innovation on *all* macintoshes since 1985
(remember, color does not come cheap).  The other menu improvements
were cheap (i.e. little R & D) ripoffs of existing systems.

(3) The only improvements Apple has released (after a moment's
thought) are Macromaker and Hypercard.  What percentage of the
Macintosh markup did this cost, over the multi-year period before
its release?  Why not improve some existing system software like the
klugey backup program or the oh-so-limited DiskFirstAid facility?

(4) I happen to know Apple has some *appletalk* (not localtalk)
products in the wings -- products in an area I worked on while at
Xerox.  I'm guessing that these products will be of little use to home
users, unless they contain major industry-wide technical innovations.

Now, people chime in, "Just wait until system 7.0 comes out!!!" Well,
four years is an eternity in the PC business.  I'd like to see Apple
improve things more than token amounts for mainstream users, rather
than splurging on specialty markets such as
	- color processing,
	- scanning
	- appletalk
	- CAD
	- A/UX for government
	- astronomically expensive platforms such as the IIfx

etc.  How long will it be before QUICKDRAW will know how to rotate
objects on the screen and in printouts, for example?  How long before
Apple gets the flakiness out of the (currently broken) 3rd-party
printing architecture?  How long before the macintosh has a sound
language to complement its picture language?

Maybe forever because system software innovation does not pay.  To an
outsider like myself, Apple seems to use the CPU markup to capitalize
other hardware and software projects, some of them flops (Laserwriter
SC, Imagewriter LQ, Apple Hard Disks, Apple Modems), or narrow
specialty items (IIfx, $2000 color acceleration systems, Apple
scanners, 32-bit quickdraw).  Where is the mainstream innovation,
Apple?

If Apple can't afford to fund major improvements from CPU sales, then
they should charge for system 7.0.  At least then, Apple would find
out whether it was earning its keep among mainstream users.

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman x61391) (07/24/90)

In article <2178@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>I don't know of any other
>system that allows for the use of multiple montiors with different bit
>depths, or systems that allow you to change the bit depth or colors on
>the fly.  That's a real advantage for the average novice user.

That's funny.  I just added a color monitor to the hi-res B&W one I already
had on my Sun 4.  The bit-depths are 8 and 1.  But a "real advantage for the
average novice user"?  Since when did the average novice user have a 2-screen
system?  The average Mac user has a Mac Plus!

>It's all fine and well to take Apple to task for high prices, but from
>what I can see they still are really the only company that's spending
>any time and effort to make computers more useful and more useable
>for the entire personal computing population.

I won't blow the company horn and claim that we're *succeeding* (not in
a Mac group where it could only start a flame fest), but I *know* Sun is
spending time and effort. :-)

--
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman